Decent pics of my bettas

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
I "stole" my friend's Nikon D5000 DSLR camera and had some fun taking pics of my fishes. *BOUNCINGS
The first is a pic of my male crowntail, Al. He's quite a character. Please forgive the state of the tank. Have no clue where the algae is coming from (don't over-feed and it's not near a window that gets any direct sunlight) and my friend came over the day before I cleaned his tank.

Next is Garrett, my newest male veiltail. I couldn't resist him because of his incredible color.

Now we come to my girls.
First we have Soibhhan, my medium turquoise. Right under her, you can see one of the otos doing its impression of a rock. You can almost see it thinking "I'm a rock. I'm a rock. I'm a rock!"

Then we have Esme on the left, little Jane in the middle and Rosalie looking straight at the camera.

This is Bella. Funny thing is, she's one of the biggest, but she's the most picked-on.

And here are some extra pics of a friend's saltwater tank (it's got some wicked bad algae at the moment 'cuz she bought it fully set-up from some guy on CL, but doesn't know the first thing about SW tanks...or tanks at all, really). Anyone able to identify the fish other than the clowns?

There was also apparently an eel in the tank, but it wouldn't come out and "play."

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
Here's another pic of Al it wouldn't let me include for some silly reason. It said I had 11 images in the thread, but I counted three times and there were only 10. Oh well.
This is Al being his typical anti-social self.

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
Ahhh gorgeous!!!
I took a few pics of my betta today, but they look horrid! -.- I might post them...
BTW, the Twilight names, lol! XD
I helps that to get these pics I was using a $1000+ Nikon D5000 DSLR camera. :eek: And my girls are extremely friendly, so they like being right up where they can see whatever people are in the room. *thumbsups

And thanks! Not many people get the Twilight names. :cool: All except Al and my son's betta are named for Twilight characters. What's scary is that most of them fit their names perfectly (meaning they act like their characters). I wish I could have gotten pics of my new little crimson female, Victoria. Quite literally FLAME red. She and Jane are about the same size as the otos. :p My three otos have Twilight names as well (Leah, Seth and Quil...after the wolves...I'll probably name the new otos when I get them after the rest of the pack).

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
Would need to see more of the body of the yellow fish on the left. Might be Cryptocentrus cinctus or Meiacanthus oualanensis. Does it have white dots on its body?

The mulit-colored fish near the center is Pterosynchiropus splendidus.
Okay, definitely wasn't the Meiacanthus oualanensis. I googled it and that looks nothing like it. It looks more like a goby. May a yellow watchman? (Googled it and that's the goby that looks most like it...only the one in my friend's tank is more orange, not yellow).
http://www.supiri.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/wwwsupiricom_yellowwatchmangoby09010xx3.jpg

Feb 27, 2009
Okay, definitely wasn't the Meiacanthus oualanensis. I googled it and that looks nothing like it. It looks more like a goby. May a yellow watchman? (Googled it and that's the goby that looks most like it...only the one in my friend's tank is more orange, not yellow).
http://www.supiri.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/wwwsupiricom_yellowwatchmangoby09010xx3.jpg
Cryptocentrus cinctus is also known as Yellow Watchman. Color is hard to go by, as it depends a lot on the tank's lighting, suspended particles in the water, health of the fish and foods eaten. With just seeing the face and not the whole body, its hard to tell.

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
Cryptocentrus cinctus is also known as Yellow Watchman. Color is hard to go by, as it depends a lot on the tank's lighting, suspended particles in the water, health of the fish and foods eaten. With just seeing the face and not the whole body, its hard to tell.
Yeah, realized they were the same fish about 15 minutes after I posted that and got distracted by something else, so I didn't fix it. :p Anywho, I think that's what it was...mainly 'cuz the lighting was not great (the flourescents wouldn't come on, just her crappy incandescents) and the tank isn't all that clean 'cuz of the algae bloom (lots of suspended particles and such). Thanks for the insight! :cool:

Feb 27, 2009
You say your friend knows nothing about caring for a saltwater tank? The gobies are not the easiest to learn on. The clown and damsel are good beginner fish. I hope she gets some good advice on lighting (critical) and feeding, along with proper upkeep. The Pterosynchiropus splendidus (AKA Psychedelic Mandarinfish) can be a bit touchy as far as water quality is concerned. If there is live rock or sand in there, and its not getting the proper lighting, she will soon have a meltdown on her hands, sadly :(

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
WOW
Completely missed this thread!
Very nice bettas. Most of these i suppose were bought at an LFS? nice fish for the lfs lol. i usually see only drab looking ones there (white with red)
I'll see if i can start my own thread on my bettas (assuming i get more next week)
Or do you mind me posting in this thread?
Cuz i was kind of thinking of creating a "Show-off your bettas Here!" Thread lol. I think it'd be cool for all the betta owners on this forums, and its a popular fish :)

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
I agree about the betta-sharing thread! And Newman, you're welcome to post your pics in my thread if you like. I hope to get some better pictures of all the girls (especially the shy ones). Newman, they were all bought at either Petsmart or Petco. My black female that I lost a while back after trying to breed her was bought at a LFS, but they don't usually have female bettas there. I got lucky in finding her......wait, I lied! I got my dark turquoise female with red fins off CL (don't have pictures of her) and my black female with red fins at Walmart (no pics of her either). I think the people I got the turquoise/red from got her at Walmart, but I'm not sure. She's absolutely stunning.

OrangeCones, I don't know much about SW tanks, but I'm pretty sure my friend bought this one off a guy who was a die-hard enthusiast, but needed the money, so he sold his tank. So, as far as I know, it has great equipment. I know it's running two filters, one of which looks to be a Penguin 200 or better. I think it's got live rock in it (it's covered with little feather dusters and such). The tank is in bad shape though. Two of her snails have already died, and unless SW snails are hugely different than FW snails, it's pretty hard to kill a snail.