Cory Spawning Habits

Well, my two peppered cories are spawning again. I figured someone out there would like to know how it works. Here is what I have learned from Google and from first-hand experience. (Photography by me, Kissyboots)

Males are smaller and thinner; females are larger and rounder. Cories usually spawn when the temperature changes. Right now my tank is at 68-70 degrees Fahrenheit. They have been spawning consistently for the past three weeks or so.

The male will swim up to the female and make fast, jagged movements. They will connect into a T-shape and wiggle around a bit.

Then they will lie around for about thirty seconds.
The female carries the eggs (usually 2-6 eggs) in a make-shift pouch under her (see picture below) and stick them to various objects in the aquarium (glass, plants, décor, filters).

They will repeat this process over and over again until about 20-30 eggs have been laid. (Here on glass)

(Here on plant)

The eggs will turn grey after about four days. If they don’t, then they were not fertilized. Get some more males if that is the case and you really want some fry.

After about five-six days:

After about five days the cory fry will hatch. They look like tadpoles.
First day:

After two weeks or so:

After a month or so:

(Note: The eggs are very fragile and should be removed from the aquarium carefully. Fish like to eat the eggs, so if you want some fry and have other fish in the tank, take the eggs out. My betta loves them.)

Anyone is welcome to add their own experiences or comments. Thanks. :)

Last edited:

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
yeah I've had my albinos spawn a few times and my dojo love them. I don't need any more so I just leave them for a nice nutriant boost for the fish that eat them.

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
They're adorable! I'll keep in mind the temp changes too. Two of my pygmy cories have already paired off in the tank but I've never seen an egg sack like that.

My Pepper seems to have decided the remaining pygmy is her mate but that's doomed to eggless failure.

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
oh man. this makes me hope that my pygmies spawn.... but i don't have any more room for tanks! lol. Do they eat their own eggs? I have a tank w/only 5 pygmies..... one of them is always in hiding, and the other 4 seemed to have paired off.... maybe I should get him a buddy??

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
I had to come here for confirmation... but it appears I may have some unfertilized cory eggs in my 5 gallon (assuming the Betta hasn't eaten them yet, they seemed well hidden inbetween the watersprite leaves, and I haven't bothered looking in their little "cave" yet.). I'll take a picture when I get home and let you tell me if they are or not. :D I haven't seen any hanky panky going on though. Hopefully they are breeding, so that I could raise the fry, and I don't have to buy anymore pygmies to replace those that die.