Columbian Shark Home.

Simpleton

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I have about 7 or 8 Columbian Sharks in a 40 gallon, Yes I realize that it is too small and I am saving to for a 200 gallon and a new place to live ( with concrete floor) LOL.
Anyhoo, Does anyone know what there natural enviroment is like? I would like it to feel more like home for them.
I had a real problem with them tryin to jump, but ever since i raised the salinity and put some fake plants floating on the top they have stopped.
Oh and just in case anyone wanted to know, they are a schooling fish, they don't ever separate. And they are extremly skitish, so don't put them in a place of high traffic.
Craig

Simpleton

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I have some hehehe.
Actually they are a brackish fish. But I am sure you know that.
They like to hide a lot, and they don't like to be alone.
They eventually need lots of room, as they grow really big.
The tank doesn't have to be very deep as they never come to the surface, unless to feed.
Oh make sure the tank is in a low traffic area cause they frighten very easily.

Craig

MORPHEUS

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
wales
THX FOR THE INFO IVE READ ON THIS SITE THAT THEY ARE BRACKISH FISH BUT MY LFS SAID THAT THEY ARE OK IN FRESHWATER WHEN THEY ARE YOUNG MINES ONLY SMALL ABOUT 3 INCHES.WHAT DO YOU RECOMEND SHOULD I ADD SALT ALSO MINES ALWAYS AT THE TOP OF MY TANK AND I AM YET TO SEE HIM GO TO THE BOTTOM IS THIS NORMAL.

Simpleton

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Hello again.

If your shark is just a baby i wouldn't worry about adding salt right away. Give it some time to adjust to the tank.
Is there any other fish in the tank with him?

After about 3 months or so I would start adding salt, but slowly during water changes. And give it some hiding places. They love PCV pipes to play in. Remember it has to be marine salts, just like in a salt water tank.
Also you said that he is swimming on the top area, don't worry he is baby and is probably exploring. He will head to the bottom eventually.

I noticed after awhile that my sharks hated light and only come out at night now to play in the open.

Good Luck

Craig

MORPHEUS

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
wales
*twirlysmiley*thx again for the info yes their are other fish in with him i have 1 pictus 1 plco 1 stripped dorad 3 bronze corys 2 clown loaches 2 flying fox 4 betas 1 male 3 female 3 silver sharks 1 red tail shark and up to now no problems with them.again thx for the help

Simpleton

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sounds like a good mix.
How big is your aquarium?
They are brackish like I said but in your case I think it will be fine is freshwater.
I noticed that you have quite a few fish that get over 6inchs, which is a plus and a minus.
Plus is you don't have to worry about the shark eating the others. He is not aggressive, he just puts whatever he can in his mouth.
The minus is tank size.
Your sharks can get anywhere from 6-14 inchs, same with your clown loach. Also avoid chemicals in your tank, they are really bad for your clown loach. Last the pleco get HUGE.
I am sorry if you know all this ready, just making sure you do.
For all I know you could have a 200 gallon tank. LOL(Icandream)
Anyways don't know if that helped?

Craig

MORPHEUS

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
wales
*thumbsupsmiley* my tank is 5 feet by 2 feet by 1and half feet which i think makes it a 86 gal.(uk).this is my first tank that i have had so hopefully it will be big enough for a while.i wish to that i had a 200 gal tank but maybe someday.thx for advice on clown loaches and everything else

madhippoz

Large Fish
Jan 14, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Visit site
I got a 10 gallon tank for christmas, first tank, and I've done tons of research and such. Currently I have 3 Colombian's a pleco and 2 Red Claw Crabs. Heheh also don't worry, I'm in the process of getting a much much larger tank as I realize how large Colombian's and pleco's get. I know that mine really really love having a strong current to swim against, so I think any kind of river type environment would be good for them as from what I've read their mostly a river/lake type fish. So probably lots of driftwood and rock formations with hiding spots would be best. I'm planning my next tank, which is going to be a 50 gallon tank, then when they outgrow that one I'm going to move up to a 150 or so gallon tank. I'm only moving to a 50 first because 1 its a helluva lot cheaper heh, and also I'd like to have 2 or 3 aquariums going at once.

WilWong

New Fish
Feb 5, 2003
wilwong.ewebs.com
I lost 2 columbian sharks in 2 weeks.

The first one got trapped under a slate rock.
Or maybe he died already and the fish dragged him under the slate rock.

Cause I went to exchange him for another and that one died in 2 days for no reason. Maybe because I forgot to turn the light off.

38 Gallon

6 Diamond Tetras
2 Honey Gouramis
1 Figure 8 puffer
1 African Dwarf Frog
1 Red Tail black Shark

Columbian Sharks are beautiful but I think i'm gonna quit on them for now

madhippoz

Large Fish
Jan 14, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Visit site
That's some tough luck. Depending on how big they get, they thrive much better in brackish water as they mature, not sure how big yours were. Another problem as usual is they are generally pretty badly underfed. I know mine where ravenous for the first several days, and when I was picking them out at the pet store, the guy took the first one out of the bag because the exertion of swimming away from the net basically did him in, he was just too weak. They are also very skittish fish. I keep mine in the tank in my room because the slightest movement can really startle them. If you just got him that extra stress might play a part.

They are beautiful fish though, I love the 3 I have, very very active fish. As long as you're prepared to handle their potential max size. I've heard anywhere from a foot to 2 feet long at max size. Heh which unfortunately = big and consequently expensive tank setup. 150+ gallons.

Phroge

Small Fish
Feb 20, 2003
Cary, North Carolina
Visit site
I have three of the sharks in a 55 gallon. All three are 3-4 inches right now and growing rather slow. From what I have heard is they do like a bit of salt in the water, and this has proven to be true for me. All three of mine used to swim back and forth across the from of the tank at the waterline. Back and forth, back and forth... all the time. Then I heard that this behavior is a sign that there is not enough salt in the water for them to be happy. I added enough salt to the tank to bring it to about .002, and they all moved down to the bottom for their patroling. This amount of salt is actually a good thing for all the fish, as it does seem to keep them healthy. I've not had a sick or ill fish in several months since adding the salt. There are guppies, mollies, neons, rasboras, and cories in the tank... all happy, and constantly hungry. In fact, I have to be real careful about over feeding as most of the fish will not stop eating no matter how much food I put in the tank.

-Phroge

catfishmike

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sin City, again...
as far as i know these fish hatch in fresh water develop for a while then go out to sea.they probably spend most of their time in estuaries or close to the coast.there range is from columbia to southern california.it is clear they are preadtors so don't keep smaller fish than their mouths.they should eat onec a week,and their stomachs should have quite the buldge.also these are the fish that hatch if you are ever to find "shark eggs"for sale.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Morpheus - if you start adding salt you will have problems with your pleco, pictus, cories and clown loaches as none of them like salty conditions at all.

MORPHEUS

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
wales
UNFORTUNATELY MY COLUMBIAN SHARK DIED REAL BUMMER.BUT I NOW HAVE 3 IRIDESCENT SHARKS AND THEY ARE GREAT I HAVE HAD THEM FOR ABOUT 2 MONTHS NOW AND BOY DO THEY GROW FAST.BUT THEY ARE A REALLY COOL FISH AND REMIND ME OF MINI GREAT WHITES.

Phroge

Small Fish
Feb 20, 2003
Cary, North Carolina
Visit site
I've got guppies, mollies(one just popped out 25 fry last night) cories, neons, rasboras, and a pl*co in with my sharks. The salt registers about .002 and all of the fish are active, constantly hungry, and peaceful. My sharks have never so much as chased another fish, even after one of the guppies dropped 30 fry, I can still account for at least 25 of them. I guess I got some good sharks.

-Phroge

madhippoz

Large Fish
Jan 14, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your Colombian. As simpleton mentioned they are a schooling fish. I have 3 and they are always together. So one on its own might have felt some extra stress. It can be a little challenging finding tank mates for these fish. They are not overly aggressive, but will eat anything that fits in the old yapper. But their size and their adult brackish water conditions make it hard. They just don't work well as a community tank fish, they just get too big, and have a different water requirement But their great fish, and very elegant swimmers. I'm in the process of setting up my middle 77gal tank for the 3 I have. The only other things in with them will be a Red Claw Crab and a pleco (temporary). I may add another crab into the larger tank as well. Will be nice to watch that swim about in the larger tank as they are all hitting between 3-4 inches currently.

Simpleton, I think any setup with lots of rock, especially with crevices and holes to hide in, with lots of plant cover would suit them very well. Also a strong current going along the rocks. Big pieces of driftwood that they can hide under would work also. I have a piece in my current tank and they often sit underneath it, surveying the rest of the tank. They also wiggle back and forth along side a rock that is pressed up close to the side of the tank like a little crevice and seem safe sitting there along the bottom.

Re: Re: Columbian Shark Home.

Originally posted by Simpleton
Also you said that he is swimming on the top area, don't worry he is baby and is probably exploring. He will head to the bottom eventually.
mine is ALWAYS at the top and has been for 3 months, except when he comes down to eat....

i dont think he/she's exploring cuz hes always in the same place at the top lol anyone else notice this?

madhippoz

Large Fish
Jan 14, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Visit site
Heyah Lai Liu Ha,

I just saw your name in another forum saying that you had Knight Goby's. I notice you're also in Calgary same as me. I'm setting up my 77gal Brackish tank, and I'm looking for some Knight Goby's. Where did you get yours if you don't mind my asking. They don't seem to be all that common.