Chronicles of a fish nut

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
I've decided I want to keep a record of all the happenings with my tanks as I go on in real time. I think it will be interesting/fun to look back in the future to see what has changed. Please feel free to coment as I go along.

I'll start by listing the tanks with the current occupants and at what stage of development they are at.

Fist off we downsized by getting out of IFGA guppies (yay!) never was a big fan and IMO took up valuable tank space that could be used for so much more. This means we droped 12 tanks. They are sitting dry until needed again for what ever reason.

20 gal Claro LDA08 X6 plus a small L114 to be moved to the 125 show tank once he gets larger. The claros should be of breeding size by xmas.

90 Gal, 3 severums, 2 L399s, 1 9-10 inch royal, one clown plec, 3 skunk loaches, 1 royal farowella, 5 lemon tetras. The L399s are females and when I put them with their intended male, they ate him. The Sevs breed when they feel like it.

125 gal 14 Red hero efeciatus (sp?) think dwarf wild severum, see orions photo account for pics. 3 syno angelicas, 1 fire mouth, 3 breeding rainbow cichlids, 2 L001s, 1 L239, 1 L226, 1 BGK given to me by a member who wanted it to be in a larger home. We want to breed the heros but haven't had any success, we plan on moving the domanat male and 2 of the females into a 75 by themselves this summer. Orian and I both think they havn't done it yet because there is just too much compitition with all of them in one tank like that.

55 gal, breeding pair of angels, 3 L114s..to be moved to at least a 150 when the time is right, 6 L183s should be ready to spawn soon, 1 clown plec, and one ABN

55 gal calico BNS reg finned and long finned...again still to small for spawning but won't be long now.

75 gal, breading group of ABNS I don't remember how many but I think there are 3 males.

30 gal 5 L134s...working on breeding them now.

30 gal 5 L110s only 1 male again working on breeding them, can't quite figure out what the trigger is with these guys, I've also heard they have to be well over 3 yrs old.

40 gal cube Discus tank, 1 male and 1 female discus. The male is making advances but the female just isn't old enough yet, 12 Rummy nose tetras, 3 otos, one L59 male. We did get a female for him at the same time we bought him and there were plenty of caves in this tank. Turns out the male of this species is VERY territorial and he killed the female on the 2nd day in the tank.

20gal Long 5 L260, breeding like rabbits, we don't even have to take them through the rainy season anymore.

20 gal L 5 L136, still some time before they are old enough to breed.

20 gal L 4 L340 mega clowns (super rare) again gonna be some time before they are of breeding size. there is also a breeding pair of ghost angels

29 gal 9 White cheek gobies, we've tried every trick in the book to get these to breed, still no luck.

20 gal L 5 goo Obo gudgeons, same...can't get these to breed. 2 males 3 females.

10 gal 5 peacock gudgeons, 1 male 4 females...breeding like rabbits, I get a good trade in on theses at the LFS. In fact they get all of them (how else can I afford to feed every one.)

29 gal SW. currently being set up, 1 GSP 1 Atlantic anemone, 1 coral banded shrimp, 1 red linkis sea star, 1 large nerite, 1 some sort of sand sifting digging tube shaped snail. Should be getting feather dusters/tube worms today.

10 bichardi tank, 3 bichardis in it. Haven’t tried to save any fry yet

20 gal L multi tank...breeding like rabbits. No need for a grow out tank, we collect the fry when they are ready to go to the LFS.

5 10 gal grow out tanks. currently housing ABNS, L260, rainbow cichlids and peacock gudgeons.

2 5gal wild betta tanks

There I think thats it. I will update with some current picks of the ones that are nice enough to show. Most of the tanks are not pretty as they are function over form. But I do have a few that I am proud of. I will try to get the pics up when I update the thread this weekend..

Least now you know why my sig says what it says. I would get a nasty gram from the mods if I tried to fit all of that in my sig. LOL

edit: oh yeah I forgot to mention the self sustaining red cherry shrimp tanks I keep in the sauna/shrimp room, I don't have to feed these tanks at all. Both 10 gals have a large 75 watt light fixture on top of them both supporting the light with each tank having rare moss, one is mini moss the other os tiwan (sp) moss. The idea was to grow this stuff and sell it as it sells for about 20 bucks for a 5 cm square patch of it, but too much light caused major hair algae in both tanks. This sucks as it pretty much makes the moss worthless...good luck getting that crap out of a big ol ball of moss, but in the end it was a blessing. The shrimp sustain themselves off of the algae alone. I don't ever feed the tank and they reproduce like mad. All I do is a WC ever other week and add a lil iodine.

Last edited:

FreshwaterJeff

Superstar Fish
Mar 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
Awesome. It's about freakin' time, man :D

If you're still having no luck with the L134's, you could always send them up to me. I'm sure I could get that tank down to the proper temp, hehe...

Last edited:

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Well I woke up this morning to a dissapointment, the large anemonie ran over the small one and smothered it, you can see the trail in the sand where he did it. So since I have a dead anemonie in the tank..looks like I'm about to do another water change.

The 134s have been in the dry season for nealy 3 months now. Tonight I am going to toss them into the rainy season with a cold water change. Now I've been having problems with getting the water to stay cold enough for any amount of time for it to trigger spawning. So I plan on useing cold RO water for the initial change and then float frozen bottles of water in the tank overnight. Durring the day I'll let the temp go back up to 80 degrees, then repeat the the cold WC every night with the frozen bottles of water floating in the tank. With any luck this will work.

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
AB is where I had to get mine. rarefishinlax (Tanner) sells the goo obos.

You should have seen the rainbow darters I had...Now that was a stunning native. The wife unpluged their filter by mistake and they died. :(

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
AB as well, most of my rare species have come from AB, there are a few sellers that I trust whole heartedly. DGA, Josefish, rarefishinlax, and lotsoffish to name a few. Aquariaman is your man for killies, dude is an uhhh not nice person but has nice fish and ships on time.

Well just got done doing a water change on the 136 and the 340 tank, also did a 50% water change on the SW tank in preparation for my new arrivals I just picked up from the LFS. 2 large feather dusters and a spider crab. Love this lil crab he is all decorated with shells and algae.

I noticed the coral banded shrimp was disarmed. It had to be the puffer, the only thing is the CBS is still alive, and I have watched this tank for hrs not once has the puffer messed with the shrimp, he's too large for the puffer to see as food. The puffer can barly eat full grown krill. Oh well looks like I will have to get a pistol shrimp sooner or later as I just don't think the CBS is gonna make it with the puffer. The GSP is only about 4 inches long but doesn't have a very large mouth. The spider crab should be safe with him.

My heart almost stopped when I got done typing my first post in this thread, the Atlantic anemone had gone completely flat. I thought it was dying. When I got back from the LFS he was in full bloom again. I guess they do this deflating thing to help expel waist.

After doing the WC on the 136 tank I moved the goo obos into the tank with them, to use their tank as a grow out for the L260 as they are getting to big to be stuffed in a 10 and are starting to scrap. Nice side effect of moving the gudgeons is now my 136 are all out n about as if the gudgeons are acting as a dither fish. Before I would have to tear the tank apart to make sure the 136 were still alive. The 136 species is very small. Mine are almost a yr old and not over 2 inches.

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Wow, lots of stuff going on in Pure's tanks!
I'm looking forward to more pics too. I've always wanted to get a look at what you've been 'brewing' behind the scenes as far as your fishtanks go.

Of course, I always knew you had a pleco or two. ;)

BV

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Awesome! And the sevs don't try to eat it when breeding? lol
I guess the tank is so big and deep that the fish mostly ignore the cray anyway. Plus, any attention the loaches/smaller plecos receive from the cray is easily-avoided, I'm sure.

How big is he/she?
Guess I'll have to wait for some pics.

BV

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
It's about 4 inches in size, there are only a couple of fish small enough to worry about but both the lemon tetras and the skunk loaches are very fast. When the sevs breed nothing in the tank is safe. The cray lives under a large piece of driftwood out of harms way.

Success!!! Last night was the first night I fed my new raw shrimp mix. I wanted to put more protein in the hyps, and the 114s diet. I just checked and every bit of it has been eaten.

Here was the plan. All these fish are fed a high quality flake that we mix ourselves from Kens fish, it's a mixture of earthworm, brine shrimp, blood worm, and sprulina flake. The idea was to use the flake as a component in the mix to help hold it together and get them to eat it as it should have close to the same smell as what they are used to.

Simple recipe get out a pencil and some paper, 2 cups of raw peeled shrimp with the tails removed, 2 cups of the base flake, 1 teaspoon fresh garlic, blended together with a little water to give it the consistency of thick pudding. Then spooned into a large ziplock bag and rolled with a rolling pin to approximately 1/4 inch in thickness, laid flat in the freezer and frozen. I use kitchen shears to trim off what I plan on feeding.

The only problem and I don't think there is any way around this, is when blending air is trapped in the mix so when you feed it defrosted it still floats. I simply defrost it in a cup then pull out what I want to feed that tank, hold it in the palm of my hand stick my and in the tank and squeeze it until it sinks.

Now come the issue of mixing carnivore and herbivore plecos together. My 183/114 55 gal aka the pleco hut, of course is mixed. The 114s need the high protein for optimal growth, but if the 183s eat too much of it I risk giving them bloat and killing them. Now 183s are a black water species of BN this means they can tolerate the protein a little more than common BNs (not much algae or aquatic plant life in a black water habitat, so feeding the mix every other day should be safe. I dare not feed it every day though.

An added benefit to feeding this to this tank is the angels even go nuts over it. The high protien should help increase the amount of eggs they can produce..

When I put it in the 136/goo obo tank the goo obos show lots of interest in the mix, hopefully I can get them off of live frozen foods as this will save me some cash!

It's early and I haven’t checked on the 134 tank, they are still all sleeping in the closet. I will wake them up around 8 when the timer kicks on.

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Well that sucked, when I checked the temp in the 134 tank it was back up to 80F. I only used one small bottle of water. I'm walking a thin line by doing this so I don't want to over do it with the frozen bottles of water, tonight I will try 2. In any case last nights falure wasn't that big of a deal the RO wc only dropped the tds from 340 to 280. It has to get down to about 100-120 before spawning will happen.

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Last night was a little better, I used 2 bottles and when I checked on them this AM the tank temp was only up to 78. Still I would like it to be a little cooler. The TDS after lastnights RO WC is now down to 230-233.

Tonight I'm going to try 3 bottles and check in on the tank durring the night to make sure it isn't getting too cold.

In the end I think moving this tank out of the hot closet/fish room is going to be the only way to get the temp stable.

Oh yeah, a vast majority of our tanks are in the den closet that is the size of a small bathroom. I have racks that I built on both sides supporting the tanks. Everything is filtered with sponge filters, and I use large box filters in the pleco tanks to help remove some of the waste.

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Last night Around 2AM I checked in one the 134 tank. This time I used 3 bottles after the cold water change. The temp had dropped to 70F and was still back up to 76 this AM. IMO this is swinging the temp way too much. I'm going to stop for now. I will have to put them back into the dry season until they can be moved. I'll only dry season them for a month or so.

The day before yesterday I didn't feed the goo obos in hopes of them taking a liking to the new shrimp mix. Last night when I fed them they were like ravenous little sharks tearing into a side of beef. LOL It's funny how simple things like this bring a smile to my face...no more frozen live foods YAY!

At feeding time I was taking a close look at the 340 tank, I believe I have 3 males and one female as 3 of them are noticeably larger and the one smaller one is showing the typical hyp female trait of having a fat belly. She also is the only one who refuses to use a cave. This is another typical female hyp behavior. She is only a little over 2 inches, but showing a belly like that I may try to run them through the seasons soon to see what happens.

Also I got some updated pics of some of the tanks as well as a vid of the anemone feeding on a large piece of raw shrimp. I’ll post them all soon.

Also another bit of good news. Moving the goo obos has put them in a better position for observation, their tank was on the ground level of the rack so it was hard to pay close attention to them. Since moving I've noticed there is a definate pair, that swims together constantly and the male is always dispalying for her. I'll be sure to keep an eye on these 2.

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
The Evolution of a Tank

This is my 40 gal tank that through out my time in the hobby has undergone the most changes. At first it was decorated with all silk plants...sorry no pic of that. Then I did this back when I had time to deal with a high light tank and all the dosing of daily ferts.

Then as time went on I added more and more tanks and had less time for all the plants, so eventually they all died from neglect, then I did a remake of the tank, this time it had Discus and low light plants.

Then one day I was in the middle of redoing the entire plant lay out of the tank and got an emergency on-call phone call that made me step away from all the plants that were laid out on sheet of plastic for over an hr. Sadly most of the plants didn’t make it. I also found out that the moss balls do NOT like soft water as they eventually just melted. I saved one that is still going strong in my hard water 75. Today the tank looks like this.

It probably will stay this way for a wile as ATM I'm dumping all my spare $ into setting up the SW tank. I'll fill this one back up with low light plants eventually, for now I'm happy with it.

Last edited: