cherry shrimps and fertilizers

hey everyone,
just got a simple qusetion but if i dose seachem flourish will it hurt cherry shrimps? on the label on the back of the flourish there is a little copper and i read in a few places that shrimp are sensitive to flourish. Also what if i dose like 3 times the normal amount of seachem exel? thanks

gulp... on the flourish i dose like double the amount i think :( would switching to dry ferts still affect shrimp? just bought a bottle of flourish yesterday but i might return it and just order some dry ferts but i need to stop ordering things cause my mom is getting sorta mad :( has anyone one had experience with excel and cherry shrimp cause i am hoping that that one person was just unlucky :) I have this 1 gallon traveling basket from walmart with a sponge filter i can use to house the shrimp in first but i gotta cycle it... do you think the cherrys can stand 70 degrees? and how many do you think i can put in there?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
If you're dosing the recommended amounts, it shouldn't be a problem. I use Excel only once a week in my shrimp tank, and have no problems. I have also dosed Flourish at the recommended levels, without problems.

I'm getting confused about what you're doing and why with your tanks. A 1g tank won't really be a good place for shrimp in the long run, it's really too small for more than about 2 of them if you want them to be healthy. Shrimp cannot take ammonia or nitrites, so you need to make sure the tank is cycled before you add them. Temps at 70F will be fine for the shrimp.

just e-mailed the guy who is selling the shrimp and he says he puts excel and flourish in his tanks too but at recommended dosage so he told me to cut back a bit then keep building after i get the shrimp and if they show any ill affect then just stay there. On the excel i use it every day at 2 to 3 times normal dosage but i'm probably gonna stop it cause the bba is controlled already :D there is like no more spreading except on a few leaves so i gotta make a new batch of co2 then i should be set and once the amanos get here there wont be any left of it :D Also what do you mean by your confused about what i'm doing with my tanks? do you mean the dosage or the design or using the 1g? The 1 gallon i was planning to cycle it cause i have this sponge filter and if i do ever get a pregnant female i can house her in there like 2 weeks after i see some eggs then like every day i get a bowl or something and change a little of the water or something to keep the nitrates low until i can put the babies back into the 20g cause they might get eaten if they are too small. The plant sounds like it will do great until the mom has the babies part so still gonna work it out or i might not even use the 1g but i think there are enough plants in my 20g to safely house babies (i hope there is)

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
I just dosed Flourish Trace for the first time ever and had massive shrimp loss. I am a dumbass! I have about 4 dead Amanos and I lost about a dozen ghost shrimp that I was using to feed my fish. Not too upset about the 12 cent ghost shrimp but Amanos cost as much as fish do. I guess I have learned a lesson the hard way. I was dosing Iron, Potassium, Magnesium, and Phosphorous through individual dry compound methods (minus the PO4 which is via an enema), and thought I'd just grab some good premixed trace solution. I totally overlooked the copper! I knew, and now really KNOW that copper is bad for shrimp.