Catfish Madness

This is an illness that has recently struck my house. My husband in particular is in bad shape.

We uhh...we have no idea what this is (wink wink). She (Squishy thinks) was scraped up when we got her but she's on the mend.

We've got two of these awesome things. Kryptopterus kryptopterus. We would have picked up more if the shop had any more available. I find them incredibly odd in that one has a normal blue sheen to it and the other looks very green, at least to my eyes, however I don't think it shows in the picture. They remind me of marine flying fish for some reason.

Fattening this dude right up. When we bought him he was all puny and grey. Now he's got the signature golden yellow color going on. You may notice he's missing some eyes. Well smarty pants we'll have you know we found one with both it's eyes and brought it home too. *SUPERSMIL

Some sweet whiptailness. We originally bought like 5 but being the unhealthy little sob's that they were we're sadly down to one. Thanks to regular thawed shrimp the loner is completely on the mend.

An unidentifued Ancistrus sp. "Starlight". We bought 4, I think one of them died. I wanted to get more before they all died at the shop but Squishy didn't let me get more than he could bare to let me waste should all of them have died. So far so good on the remaining 3.

I haaaaad to have this little group of Hassar orestes. They were just too cute.

Squishy's latest splurge was on Megalodoras uranoscopus. All I had to say was "Sexual".

Whiskers

Large Fish
Feb 29, 2008
central Michigan USA
wow that Megalodoras uranoscopus is cool looking. Am i seeing correctly that the tail on the Kryptopterus kryptopterus is horizontal ? if so that is neat. i didn't think there were any fish had horizontal tails i thought they were all vertical. you've got some interesting fish, thats for sure. :)

wow that Megalodoras uranoscopus is cool looking. Am i seeing correctly that the tail on the Kryptopterus kryptopterus is horizontal ? if so that is neat. i didn't think there were any fish had horizontal tails i thought they were all vertical. you've got some interesting fish, thats for sure. :)
Thanks. I hadn't seen it that way before but now that you mention it the tails on the K. kryptopterus can look horizontal. They are in fact vertical. I've never photographed an optical illusion before lol.

drew101

Medium Fish
Aug 27, 2005
fla
A walking catfish? O_O Illegal to keep here in Florida people release them... and if I want one I catch them all the time in the pond out there. but they huge...

Jan 11, 2009
Oahu, the 50th state
Congratulation on your awesome catfish family.*thumbsupsI was a catman way back when and the synodontis were my favorite.Can you please refresh my memory and tell me the type of cat with no eyes??I remember i had a few with the bronze-gold body.

Last edited: