Caribe Pirahnas.....

Jan 19, 2006
Hi my name is Bognare i'm new to this site but i already like it. I hope there is somebody out there that could help me. I just got a 100 Gal. Aquarium and i would like to host Caribe or Cariba Pirahnas. My question is as follows, How many Pirahnas can i keep in my 100 Gal. Tank, and does anybody knows where can i find them. I have been looking like crazy on the net for this Caribe Pirahnas and i can't find them and do you think Caribe Pirahnas are more agressive then red b.pirahnas i would like to read your opinion on this subject. Thank you all. *PEACE!* from Tx.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Welcome to the tank :D

I'm not sure where you live, but it's illegal to own piranhas in some areas.

This place sells them: http://www.aquascapeonline.com/store/scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=21 They generally need 20 gallons per fish :)

By the way, it's spelled piranha, so that spelling might get you some better results. Or, using the scientific name of Pygocentrus caribe :)

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2006
Hi Lotus

Thanks for the correction. And you know i have been checking for the Piranhas on aquascapeonline and i send a few e-mails to see when they are going to have some but they never responded to my e-mails, and besides this website i have not been able to find anotherone Thanks....*thumbsups *thumbsups

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Hey B, Welcome! :)

You might want to try asking in the predator section on this site. They might be able to help you. Have you had any experience with piranhas? If not, you may also want to ask the pred fish people about their behavior etc. From my understanding, they may not be what you're expecting.

Jan 19, 2006
Hi my name is Bognare i'm new to this site but i already like it. I hope there is somebody out there that could help me. I just got a 100 Gal. Aquarium and i would like to host Caribe or Cariba Pirahnas. My question is as follows, How many Pirahnas can i keep in my 100 Gal. Tank, and does anybody knows where can i find them. I have been looking like crazy on the net for this Caribe Pirahnas and i can't find them and do you think Caribe Pirahnas are more agressive then red b.pirahnas i would like to read your opinion on this subject. Thank you all. Any body that has Piranhas can you tell me if is worthy to have them or too much of a headache. Thanks..*thumbsup2

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Nice 3 spined toad fish!

A lot depends on your location. It is illegal to keep Piranhas is some states. I know Florida, Texas, and California are off limits. Check to make sure they are legal in your location.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
A lot of people say "oh I want to keep pirahnas" because they think they're vicious and it'll be a lot of fun to see them rip things apart. I'd suggest making sure you do a TON of research before getting them. They need to be in a group and can be very skittish. The ultra large tank is a wonderful start...so kudos on that.

That being said I'm not sure I've ever heard of that type, but have you asked at your local stores to see if they could order some in? I know most of my stores around here may have one or two, usually red and sometimes black...but they have to get them from somewhere so it wouldn't hurt to ask (as long as they're legal where you are as Pure pointed out hehe)

Jan 19, 2006
Thanks Pure

And you know the freshwater lionfish is only running for about $20.00 and vs the saltwater thisones are good boys they wont kill you if you get sting by them but it does hurt.......*SUPERSMIL

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Thanks, Froggy, that's what I was getting at. I don't have any experience with them but, from other people's descriptions, many fanciers find themselves disappointed because they don't act like one would expect. I believe one of the aquarist mags had an article about the caribes not too long ago. I'll see if I can find the issue. There are plenty of experienced people on this forum tho so I totally defer to their experience. I'm admittedly more of a 'kumbaya tank' person myself. :eek: