Can platties, guppies, and swordtails live single?

platty

New Fish
Oct 19, 2005
I would like to know if platties, guppies, and mollies can live single and be ok. I found out that neon tetras need to live in groups. Thanks to anyone that replies.

PlecoCollector

Superstar Fish
Aug 21, 2005
Clinton, NY
As far as I know, fish can live single, but that won't mean that they'd be happy about it. I have a single guppy/endler in with about 15 platy fry, and he enjoys himself, but only because he has company. You'd be better off with them in groups though.
What are you planning on doing?

platty

New Fish
Oct 19, 2005
To PlecoCollector

I was planning to keep three or four different fish. One guppy, one platty, one swordtail, and I forgot to ask the same question about sunset variatus. I had a neon tetra and it may have died of loneliness. They do best in at least six. If anyone else knows about sunset variatus I would like to hear from them too.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
If you have the option of keeping a few fish, it'd be better for them to be in a group of one type and you would find it more pleasing to the eye in the long run as well. How large a tank are we talking about? Swords require larger tanks than guppies and platies. Variatus are a type of platy.