Can brackish fish go into freshwater...

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
I think Yahoo is confused because to my knowledge there is no such thing as a salt "tablet" I am new to brackish and have never had SW, but I've had FW tanks for a while, never heard of them, can you find us a link or something?

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
if the tablets are labeled "For Freshwater" than no.

Keep in mind that "Aquarium Salt" and true "Marine Salt" are completely different things. Aquarium Salt is more of a "tonic" and Marine Salt contains trace elements that resembles sea water. If you are keeping Brackish Fish, then you need to use Marine Salt ("Instant Ocean", etc.)

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
kda2011 said:
well you know the freshwater salt you add to certain fish my store sells it in tablets 2!
Is it anything like this?

I've searched around at all of the online pet places I use and I can't find any Freshwater Salt Tablets. Not that I don't think you are correct, I just haven't ever heard of them.

Anyway, if they are designed for Freshwater (and since you indicated above that they are the same as the "freshwater salt to add for certain fish")... then no - they wouldn't necessarily hurt the brackish fish, however it is not the same as the Marine Salt that they require that contains certain minerals/elements that brackish fish require in their enviornment. So if you are using this salt in the hopes that it will do double-duty as making the water brackish, then you won't accomplish that, what you will have is freshwater with a tonic ("Aquarium Salt").

Hope this helps! :) Welcome to MFT, btw.

Oralacerta

Small Fish
Jul 5, 2006
Syracuse
I don't mean to drag up old bones, but this is thread brings up some important issues.

Marine salt is more than simply Sodium Chloride. It contains buffers and other additives that simulate marine conditions, and (with most good brands) is tested in labs first before a company puts it on the shelves for our use.

Aquarium Salt is an unregulated product that is really no more than Sodium Chloride, or table salt, although you never really know what you're getting with aquarium salt. There also is no scinetific evidence that shows that Aquarium salt is useful for anything in our aquariums, so I would rather not risk it.

However, I suppose if you like your fish nicely seasoned then this is the way to go! ;)

There is more to marine conditions than just salting up the water, there are several other things such as pH and kH that are controlled and stabilized by marine mixes that ensure a healthy and stable environment for the fish.

I won't get into my opinions on Aquarium Salt's use as a tonic... but anyways, on to the most important thing: the fish!

Fresh water fish are typically able to with stand small amounts of salt. However, it is not good for them (if it was, they'd be brackish fish!) and certain kinds of fish are extremely sensitive to it (including many catfish such as plecos and corys).

Brackish water fish, on the other hand, can often tolerate fresh water conditions for short periods of time. If this weren't true then we would never see live brackish water fish because 99% of the time they are put into freshwater tanks at fish stores. :rolleyes:

However, brackish water fish will not live for long in freshwater even if it isn't immediately apparent.

It is always best to dedicate your tank to species that enjoy the same water conditions including salt, temperature, and tank size.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
The latest "word" from the ALA (American Livebearers Association) seems to be that mollies should be kept in freshwater. Of course, as we all know, a little salt is not the same as brackish.

Yahoo, maybe you need to change your password.

Oralacerta

Small Fish
Jul 5, 2006
Syracuse
Lotus said:
The latest "word" from the ALA (American Livebearers Association) seems to be that mollies should be kept in freshwater. Of course, as we all know, a little salt is not the same as brackish.
ALA? Hmm, learn something every day, I didn't know there was such a thing. :p

Well thanks for the heads up Lotus, though I'd like to see the research behind their latest recommendation before spreading the word in TPF where a lot of mollies are kept in brackish by the forum members there. Do you think you may be able to pull up a link for me?

Yahoo, do you have someone in your house that may be using your account or do you think that it's someone external??
Lotus is right, change your password ASAP!