Camera options..

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
I just sold my rims for my truck and after picking up a nice trailor I have some extra cash and want to get a camera.. I found 2 that im looking at..

Canon S5-is or the
Canon SX110

Both are around the same price so if anyone has any personal use with either please post if your happy with em or not! Thanks.. *thumbsups

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
For that price, you can pick up an older DSLR Rebel body and maybe even a lens. I've been thinking for a while of getting another camera body, and the 'old' models can be had at very reasonable prices.

Not trying to put down your camera choices, but if you can go for a DSLR, most people would be happier with it. They give you so much more options not only in the lenses, but in the capabilities that you have that most P&S don't offer. I've got an entry level XSI and it's the best thing since sliced bread :)

But ultimately it depends on what you want to do with the camera. If a P&S is all you want and all you need, then there isn't a need to spend the extra money on a DSLR IMO. But I love my Canon DSLR, and I would think that the other camera lines would be as nice. Can't say for sure, but I would think so.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
We recently got an Olympus Stylus 1030 SW. It's a great all-around camera. The best thing about it is that it's waterproof, so you can put it in your tank and take awesome closeups of your corals (it has an ultra macro mode for underwater use).

It's shock resistant (I know you have kids), and generally not a bad camera. We got ours for about $200 on eBay.

There's a huge thread on Reef Central about it, with some great macro coral shots. I posted a thread on this forum a few months ago about it.

I will note that we also have a digital SLR camera that we use for other shots, but it's a more delicate piece of equipment.