Breeder tank question

cats&fish

Small Fish
Jan 15, 2011
Hello all,

I have a guppy who is, in my best estimation, about to pop. Her gravid spot is black and she has gotten huge! I don't know when she was fertilized but she's been getting noticeably bigger and her spot darker and darker over the last couple of days.

Today I bought a breeding tank to go inside my big tank (I do not have a breeding aquarium set up). I don't really know when the right time is to put her in the box. She Is sort of sluggish, but not extremely slow and I don't want to put her in there too early.

Also, are the fry not going to slip through the slits in the bottom of the breeder box? I was under the impression that I put her in there, then the fry hatch, then I take her out and put her back in the aquarium and the fry stay in the box but don't slip through the slits? I

Have I got all of this right? I am going to try to take a picture of her so that everyone can help assess my situation.

I'd appreciate any advice!

Thanks!

Oct 29, 2010
Unfortunately, breeder boxes are known to be extremely stressful for fish :(

They're known to increase the chance of miscarriages or death of the mother fish after birth :/

A better option would be to catch the fry after they are born and move them into the box. Alternatively, fake or live aquarium plants can create excellent hiding places for fry in the main aquarium that will protect them from other fish :)

cats&fish

Small Fish
Jan 15, 2011
Thanks for the input IThink. That's a better idea! Will I be able to see the fry when they are born? I have some African dwarf frogs that are going to try to beat me to the fry.

Thanks again!