Brackish Tanks: A Guide To (discussion)

tubbs24

Large Fish
Jan 29, 2006
USA
yeah, some of the tank stockings do seem a little unreasonable, but it is a very good site on describing what each biotope is and what plants that may be in it.

tubbs24 said:
thank you!!! this helps so much!

This has changed my plans for plants, then. Most of the plants I own can grow in brackish!

Glad that helps... I'm not a plant person, the only plants I'm growing in my tanks are mangroves... but they are very slow to grow... but also remember even though its on that list and says it can grow in brackish water doesnt mean it will do it well. *thumbsups

Lotus said:
If you do decide to go brackish planted, you need to know that the plants need to be acclimated to brackish over the course of several weeks, by increasing salinity gradually. Putting them from fresh into brackish will probably kill them.
Hey Lotus, he is planning on following the converting from FW to BW instructions on here with his tank, so maybe he wont have to much of a problem, but I know that there is a lot of controversy over plants in BW as far as what will actually live and thrive but we are trying to help him with it at much as possible

Jeremy

tubbs24

Large Fish
Jan 29, 2006
USA
Lol, lotus, I'm not that much of a newbie...

I have planned this out to be raising my salinity levels every 3 weeks to my goal level of 1.005. So as I'm seeing it....maybe late May, early June i should have my salinity level be where I would like it to be at? Well, that is if I start tomarrow. But well see if i stop at my LFS tomarrow.

tubbs24

Large Fish
Jan 29, 2006
USA
Brack-Man said:
Glad that helps... I'm not a plant person, the only plants I'm growing in my tanks are mangroves... but they are very slow to grow... but also remember even though its on that list and says it can grow in brackish water doesnt mean it will do it well. *thumbsups

wow, thats pretty cool, growing a tree in there....how long have you been growing the mangroves so far? is there any roots? would love to see some pics if you have any. when I go up north to northern WI for vacation, theres always driftwood up there, so i might look around for some stumps with extensive roots that i can maybe "simulate" the roots of a mangrove. of course, ill boil and do everything to the driftwood. but this project is really getting me excited! *BOUNCINGS

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
I have personally never used the fishless cycling method
Hi Jeremy,

Just reading this through again and once again, great job! I was just wondering - you say that you have never used the "fishless" method of cycling a new brackish tank - what fish do you recommend to use for the cycling process? (And if I overlooked this - please forgive me :) )