Blue Phantom Plec

Apr 1, 2006
South England UK
Hey all, just wondering if anyone has ever had a blue phantom plec and if it has ever shown signs of breeding, I really love the look of them and i was wondering if one would breed with lets say a bristlenose..

Thing is i have a bristlenose baby that has parents of two different breeds, he/she's sthe same shape and has similar pattern on the tail but the body is a nice dark brown and the scales look smoother, i'll get some pics up soon,

But would it be possible to get the Blue Phantom to breed?

I'll do anything i have to.

hehe

Thanks.

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
Ummm well it's frowned upon in the pleco community to intentionally crossbreed, it dilutes genetics.

To get plecos to breed you point a power-head into their cave, with the Phantoms you have to simulate rainy then wet season (bushys just bread like crazy) I would doubt that you will get them to cross. If you had a green and a blue it would be more likely but again not advisable.

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
here are the details on breeding Plecos.

I would suggest a second tank, along with a trio of L128's if you really want to try your hand at it.

http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/breeding/39081-breeding-plecs-101-a.html

looks like breeding in the home aquarium has been reported although my research shows it's rare, that means the likelyhood of a cross is unlikely. (bushies are the guppies of the pleco world just need a male and a female together and presto babies) The Phantoms are going to need a dedicated tank and lots of patience.

The breeder/importer I use says basically all of the 128's in the trade are imported she knows of no breeders.
This is the bio on the L128

Hemiancistrus sp. (L128) • Loricariidae • Cat-eLog • PlanetCatfish

Females heads are pointer at the nose then males, you can see this by looking down at the two but honestly you really need a side by side comparison.