- Blue Acara Fry Loses -

JRB__

Large Fish
Oct 24, 2009
Australia
Hi all,
My blue acaras spawned recently and successfully got to the stage of free swimming fry (approx 150!) and were doing well herding them around and gaurding them, digging pits and putting them in them for the night ect. They lasted for 2 weeks from the time they were free swimming. Half way through the second week I noticed a massive drop in numbers, like 50% out of no where. I checked for problems, we had a heat wave here which had raised the tanks temp to 86. It is usually maintained at 78. Is it possible the heat influx is to blame? The next day the fry were down to like 30 or so, however now the male would not let the female anywhere near them, she hid down the other end of the tank while the male continued caring for the fry. The following day the fry were down to 10, the next day there were none...well so I thought, but I did a gravel vacuum and looked in the bucket before I tipped it out to see if I could see any dead fry, no dead ones but 1 little survivor who is now safe in a breeding net and hopefully makes it. Anyway I'm at a lost as to what went wrong. I never once saw the male or female eat the fry. I have fine nets over all filter intakes etc. And I found zero bodies, even under ornaments etc. Sorry for the long winded post.
Thanks for any input.

JRB__

Large Fish
Oct 24, 2009
Australia
Parents ate them. They'll only live with the fry for so long, then will eat them and prepare for the next batch.
Thanks for responding.
I think your definately right as they have already started courtship again. I spoke to a breeder who said you have roughly 2 weeks from the time they hatch until the parents will consume them and start over. Does that sound right?
I guess I just figured if they were to start eating them, that they would do it all at once, not over 3 days whilst continuing to care for them. I suppose ifanticide is not going to make sense..

SinisterKisses

Superstar Fish
Jan 30, 2007
Yes, two weeks sounds about right, but if you want to keep them and grow them up you'll need to set up a growout tank for them and pull them from the parents shortly after they are free-swimming.

Nov 29, 2009
I guess I just figured if they were to start eating them, that they would do it all at once, not over 3 days whilst continuing to care for them. I suppose ifanticide is not going to make sense..

JRB__

Large Fish
Oct 24, 2009
Australia
Yes, two weeks sounds about right, but if you want to keep them and grow them up you'll need to set up a growout tank for them and pull them from the parents shortly after they are free-swimming.
Cool thanks,
I've set up a 10g with no substrate, a sponge filter, heater and a small piece of driftwood. I got it to put the fry in once they're free swimming and then move them onto a 50g I've got cycling for them.
Have I missed anything do you think??
Whats the best way to remove the fry?? a net?

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
brine shrimp net has worked fine for me for fry. since your are smaller, and if theyre not very fast, then try a clear bag or clear glass. if theyre really fast then the net becomes your choice.

JRB__

Large Fish
Oct 24, 2009
Australia
brine shrimp net has worked fine for me for fry. since your are smaller, and if theyre not very fast, then try a clear bag or clear glass. if theyre really fast then the net becomes your choice.
I thought of a different option however I don't know if this would hurt or over stress the fry. Use the gravel vac to remove them. The reason why I think its a good idea is because at night the parents gather all of the fry up and dig a ditch in the substrate and put them in it for the night. The fry stay in a tight little huddle in the ditch until the lights come back on, I could probably get them all in one suck... The obvious concern is whether this will hurt or stress them, however I did a gravel vac after the parents ate the first brood just to clean up and I ended up with a single little fry in the bucket, that the parents must have missed, who is now a few weeks old and doing well in a 8g by himself. Any opinions on this anyone?? superfish's i'm looking at you! ;)

mattmctyre

Large Fish
Sep 27, 2009
i just use a small net for my fry. i tried the glass and they just would swim away and hide. the gravel vac thing might work ive accidently sucked up a few in mine before . but the net seemed to work fine with me

Feb 27, 2009
I put the parents in what will be the fry tank for spawning, then remove the parents when its time. Then the fry are all together where they hatched and no stress of moving them.

JRB__

Large Fish
Oct 24, 2009
Australia
I put the parents in what will be the fry tank for spawning, then remove the parents when its time. Then the fry are all together where they hatched and no stress of moving them.
Well I'm thinkin thats what I'll do eventually once the 50g I have cycling is nicely established, however I have set the 70g up purely for my blue acara pair, well planted, plenty of shelter, open water to swin, multiple spawning sites etc so for the time being I am going to stick with this way.