Biospira

Mooch

Small Fish
Jun 4, 2006
North Carolina
I've decided to buy a new tank and, I've heard all about Bio-Spira but haven't used it yet. If anyone has used it could you give me some testimonials on it and also the store you bought it at because I'm having trouble finding it.

JNevaril

Large Fish
Jul 10, 2005
Lincoln, Nebraska
I've never used it, but from what I've HEARD, it's crap.

So, it'd be like.....buying a teeny bottle of water that'll do zilch and dumping it in.

you'd be better off setting it up new, and stealing some filter media from one of your established tanks, and chucking in maybe even a handful of gravel from an established tank to jump start your cycle. The bacteria you're looking for is in the filter media and gravel of your cycled tanks. Don't waste your money!!! Save it for fish!!! :D

Mooch

Small Fish
Jun 4, 2006
North Carolina
Thanks for the info, I usually would just let it cycle with my gravel or media but I was being lazy and wanted to see if I could take a shortcut. Since I've read a lot of good reviews on it I'm gonna see what other firsthand feedback I can get and decide from there. Thanks again

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
Wow... I never heard that before. I know some members here have used it, though. And I understand that if you don't follow the directions that it is a waste, but if I were starting up a new tank without having an established tank to grab some media from, I'd give it a try. However, having established tanks, I'd rather move some media for free than pay ten or so bucks for biospira.
Where in nc are you, Mooch? I'm in the Asheville area, and so are several other members. :)

Toam

Large Fish
Jul 27, 2005
Grove, Oklahoma
I've never used Bio Spira myself either, but it is the only product I've heard that does work when it comes to cycling. You just have to be exact to the instructions.

PlecoCollector

Superstar Fish
Aug 21, 2005
Clinton, NY
I've used Bio Spira to cycle two tanks and have no complaints. You can't overdose on the stuff, so I'd suggest getting a little more than you need (i.e. Each pack treats 30 gallons of water, so for a 40g tank, you should use 2 packs fully, not just one pack and half the other). You can start adding fish right away (though it's best to wait about a day). With Bio Spira, fish should be added slowly (don't fully stock a tank in a day). Maybe start with a couple smaller fish and add one or two every week until you're up to full stock.

And as far as I know, "Cycle" is the crap product. Bio Spira is the only one proven to work.

Igor The Cat

Superstar Fish
Jul 14, 2003
Seattle, Washington
PlecoCollector said:
Bio Spira is the only one proven to work.
I agree that cycle doesnt work but i would like to add the Seachem Stability really does work, but not as fast as Bio-Spira as it takes a week....but it is a lot cheaper...so far Bio-Spira and Seachem Stability are the only ones that ive heard work and ive had personal experiance with Stability

noncentric

Large Fish
Feb 18, 2006
WA state
The main thing about Bio-Spira is that it needs to be kept refrigerated before being used. So make sure the store is storing it correctly, and make sure that you don't wait too long before going home...like shopping for another hour, seeing a movie, and having dinner. ;) Otherwise, bring a cooler and put the packet in there after you buy it.

It's hard to find, as I've heard that Marineland requires stores to buy a proper refrigeration unit from them - since Marineland wouldn't want people buying it warm and it not working, then getting negative reviews of the product.

Once Bio-Spira is put in the tank, then fish can be added and should be added relatively soon to ensure there is an ammonia source to keep those bacteria well-fed. Tanks supposedly cycle within 3-4 days.

If you can't find it anywhere, then here is a place that sells it at a good price - but shipping might be pricy since they'll only ship it fast (but they're in East Tennessee, so it may not be too bad for you): http://fishstoretn.com/bio_spira.html

Good luck!

Fish_S

New Fish
Jun 14, 2006
Bio Spira WORKS!

I've cycled two tanks with Bio Spira.
I used it in a 12 gallon to boost a slow fishy cycle(17 days with no nitrite readings), and used it in a 75 to cycle a tank with 15 fish.

In the case of the 75 gallon, it wasn't instant, but performed a "mini cycle" in about 10 days(when readions were 0 for ammonia AND nitrites). I had No readings until the third day, then small readings of Ammonia and Nitrites. Ammonia spiked at about .5 ppm on day 6 and Nitrites at less than 1 ppm around day 8. I did not lose a fish, nor did they show any signs of stress or illness. Occupants included Clown Loaches, Tetras and Rainbows.

In the 12 gallon, there was already a high ammonia content(4ppm) and immediately kicked off the nitirite and nitrate parts of the cycle. Because it wasn't added early, there was more ammonia to convert, so the Nitrites and Nitrates spiked MUCH higher, and the process took longer. The ammonia was at 0 in 6 days after adding the Bio Spira.

Janet

Small Fish
Apr 23, 2006
N.H.
BIOSPIRA does work!!!
I used it in my 40 gallon added some danios , I could'nt believe how fast it worked! I had a battle with my 10g (did'nt know about cycleing) So I was determined to try this. The parameters were great. It has to remain refrigerated and I brought a cooler with ice to put it in for the ride home.I also got the the next size up from the 30g becouse I did a 40g. I had to really call around to find it. It was a bit pricey I think it was 24.00 but I would do it again!!

Feb 18, 2006
WA state
SkwidsLair said:
So, how do you use this stuff? I've never heard of it.

You just dump it in, wait a day and add your fish?
The product is put into the aquarium and then add fish right away (or within a few hours) - since the bacteria will need an ammonia source (fish waste) in order to survive and grow. It's basically live beneficial bacteria that is dormant (due to the refrigeration). The other products (Cycle, Bio-Zyme) are enzymes that help speed up growth of beneficial bacteria, but they're not the actual bacteria themselves.

Here is a link to the product's info.

SkwidsLair said:
If this stuff is that good, why are people still cycling the long way?
Igor pretty much covered this - availability + cost.

:)

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
Yep, I used it to cycle my mom's 70gal because she was strongly opposed to having a huge empty tank in her entry way for a month+. Worked like a charm, which is awesome because my parents can't really do much tank maintenance and I am only there on weekends. If I have 9 tanks to take media out of, LOL, I would use BioSpira again in a hearbeat!

The only place I can seem to find it is as PetLand, horrid store for other pets, but their aquatic section is pretty good. If you have a Petland, try that. (I don't know if they are just around here or what, but they're all over MI)

Jun 15, 2006
I'm relatively new so I'll give you my newbie experience.
I bought bio and fish 1 week ago.
I dumped bio and then fish a few minutes later. (LFT said you can do it simulatenously)
1 week later...fish are alive and well.

Lonewolfblue

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Wenatchee, WA
www.nw-wolf.com
JNevaril said:
I've never used it, but from what I've HEARD, it's crap.

So, it'd be like.....buying a teeny bottle of water that'll do zilch and dumping it in.

you'd be better off setting it up new, and stealing some filter media from one of your established tanks, and chucking in maybe even a handful of gravel from an established tank to jump start your cycle. The bacteria you're looking for is in the filter media and gravel of your cycled tanks. Don't waste your money!!! Save it for fish!!! :D
Actually, Bio-Spira is the best product out there. Yes, it's possible you can get a bad batch. Just remember, it needs to stay cold. Things that make it go bad: Bad shipping to LFS, LFS doesn't keep it cold or leaves door on fridge open too long, gets warm when you bring it home. And yes, you should take a cooler with ice in it if you want to buy Bio-Spora and have it be effective. And if you think, well, it's just a short ride home, well, it just may not work for you. And there's only one other product that I've had success with, and that's Stress Zyme. Other products like Cycle are completely worthless. So there's my 2 cents worth.

jonni_li

Medium Fish
Nov 7, 2002
Sunny SD
I used Cycle and from the looks of it, they claim to have changed it a bit and that it actually does contain bacteria now. Supposedly in a dormant suspended form which would release once in your tank water. Dunno how much of that is BS but anywho, cycled my tank in about a week. So from my experience, it does work, and no refridgeration needed.