biggest thread on this website

Oct 4, 2011
Maine
Will do, my temp is almost at 82 now, I'll raise it gradually and get it up to 84 in the next few hours.. I'll let you know how this goes
and I will make sure to get surface movement going to make sure they get oxygen.. Thanks a lot :)

Feb 27, 2009
The bound ammonia is a mix of chlorine (two chloride ions) and ammonia (one) bound into and molecule called chloramine.
The bound ammonia that happens with using a dechlor like Prime is not Chloramine. It is Ammonium (NH4+) instead of free ammonia (NH3). The dechlor removes chlorine (it will off-gas). Ammonium is still able to be used by the nitrofying bacteria in the nitrogen cycle.

I've personally seen a tank of fish hurt by lack of a dechlor where the product in the water was chloramine. Its just as harmful as dissolved chlorine gas.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
There is a lot of good info on this thread, but is it a good place for it?? Would the search engine even find it? And how many beginners would even click on it to read? I'm thinking it might be better if we started new threads for some of these questions with new titles. I really enjoy all the information and learn a lot.

Oct 4, 2011
Maine
Well, I know that I use google every day, and I've typed in several different questions, with several good threads from several different forums.. Some of them I do believe from this site. There are several forums with a lot of good info, but I agree, we should
probably start new threads to make things easier for newbies..

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
The bound ammonia that happens with using a dechlor like Prime is not Chloramine. It is Ammonium (NH4+) instead of free ammonia (NH3). The dechlor removes chlorine (it will off-gas). Ammonium is still able to be used by the nitrofying bacteria in the nitrogen cycle.

I've personally seen a tank of fish hurt by lack of a dechlor where the product in the water was chloramine. Its just as harmful as dissolved chlorine gas.
I do not disagree with that. Bound ammonia is chloramine (already in city water) and inert ammonia is ammonium after treatment. Chloramine is also bad, not as deadly as ammonia but still very bad and deadly. Didn't mean to mislead that chloramine was good or OK.

Jul 18, 2011
underwater
Hey guys, a couple of questions,
1)
I took some dwarf hairgrass from my cousin's house and put it in a plastic bag with tank water in it, and I left it there for about 2-3 weeks, with no source of food/nutrients, but there was natural sunlight. When I got it back, it was still green and I put it in my tank (the 5.5G), but I want to know if it died or not.

2) I heard that tap water (not treated with water conditioner) has a lot of trace elements that are good for aquatic plants. Is this true?

Thx for answering mah questions! :)

Feb 27, 2009
When I got it back, it was still green and I put it in my tank (the 5.5G), but I want to know if it died or not.
There is no way for anyone to answer this question. If the plant grows after you plant it, it lived. If if rots away and does not grow back, then it died.

I heard that tap water (not treated with water conditioner) has a lot of trace elements that are good for aquatic plants. Is this true?
Treated tap water has lots of trace elements that are good for aquatic plants. Untreated water with chlorine or chloramine (both bleaching agents) and is not good for aquatic plants.

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
i can imagine that the dwarf hairgrass survived producing its own nutrients and ll from light like any plant would...doubt it grew much though from lack of water and/or ferts meaning its a plant that pulls nutrients out of substrate

tap water...is full of a lot of things..flouide which they put in to help people but actually destroys their organs. chlorine and chloramine...which is ingested into OUR bodies and harms us too...why would it be good for plants? even house plants shouldnt use water straight from tap because the chemicals could harm the plant

Jul 18, 2011
underwater
There is no way for anyone to answer this question. If the plant grows after you plant it, it lived. If if rots away and does not grow back, then it died.

Treated tap water has lots of trace elements that are good for aquatic plants. Untreated water with chlorine or chloramine (both bleaching agents) and is not good for aquatic plants.
Thank you! I guess we'll just have to see if my hairgrass lived. :p

Jul 18, 2011
underwater
i can imagine that the dwarf hairgrass survived producing its own nutrients and ll from light like any plant would...doubt it grew much though from lack of water and/or ferts meaning its a plant that pulls nutrients out of substrate

tap water...is full of a lot of things..flouide which they put in to help people but actually destroys their organs. chlorine and chloramine...which is ingested into OUR bodies and harms us too...why would it be good for plants? even house plants shouldnt use water straight from tap because the chemicals could harm the plant
Thanks to you too :p

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
lol...i could picture that and it looks silly...if i picture oscars doin it with redneck voices its even better

since this is a random thread...my babys crying. im tired. hubbys asleep. my daughters got her first dentist appointment we gotta leave for. yippppeeee

Jul 18, 2011
underwater
O yeah, is this a myth? (I just read about it somewhere)

Betta male fry that grow from day 1 of birth to adulthood TOGETHER will have occasional squabbles, but won't kill each other because they grew up together (Bettas can recognize humans' faces, so why not they're brosters)? And EVERYONE knows Bettas are the Steven Hawkingses of the fish world.

TRUE OR FALSE?!???

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
true and false...depends on tank and set up. i did 2 males in a 75g fine.
wouldnt chance it though, females can be pretty too
and too many male guppys will stress out females...then you get no fry! a few males will cover a dozen females fine

Jan 21, 2014
I recently put a live plant in my10 gallon cycling tank with 2 danios, a ghost shrimp, and an algae eater. this is my first live plant-- I believe it is a java fern. I am pretty sure that my plant is spreading black algae(I bought it from a Petco). how do I get rid of the black algae? HELP!

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Post 1000!

Iamasloth - you may want to start a new thread. I don't know the answer to your question and I'm not sure how many people will see it here... (Alternatively - search for "black algae" and see what you get).