Bigger tank questions

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
Long time no post? I guess that means all is going well and I haven't had to run to the forum with any urgent questions.

So I've noticed my tank is getting a little scratched up from me accidentally rubbing sand against the glass with my algae scrubber. This made me go look at tanks online for fun since I don't think there's any way to fix scratches, and then I started dreaming about getting a new tank since the end of college is coming up and I'm going to be in one place for a while once I graduate and get a real job.

That being said, I know I'd like to go bigger, and I'm look at either a 75 or a 90 for a group of Discus. I know they always say go the biggest you can, but the those two tanks have the same footprint, and are only a few inches different in height. Also, the price seems to almost double when you add those extra 15 gallons. Either one would be running off a sump, which is what I'd turn my current tank into, so even if I go the cheaper route I'd still be operating at least a hundred gallon system. So, is the 90 gallon worth it?

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
One thing you might consider is although you will have graduated and have a real job - does that mean you will own your living quarters and all the other things that go with that?? You are talking about a pretty big difference in weight - although as I remember you did build a pretty nice stand, but you still will have to consider you accommodations and what they will support. You don't want to get yourself "weighed down".

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
I have had really large tanks in apartments and done just fine. I would buy which ever you find a good deal on. I know my buddy just picked up a 90 with stand and canister and hood and lights for 90.00!!! Granted the filter was not in working order he just returned it to petsmart and got a new one. (we have already covered the ethical side of pulling the switcharoo on chain stores)

Anywho either wold be fine, i would just take the nicest one you can find for the best price. :)