Bettas

Nov 25, 2010
I have an express interest in breeding my beautiful male bettas I have got from petco. I am gonna set up a 10 gallon tank as a quarantine/breeding tank. My main question is can I cross different species of bettas? For example can I cross a male half-moon with just a regular female? 3 of my 4 males r hapfmoons the other is a crowntail. I know I can get a crown tail female but I have yet to come across a half-moon female. Also I know to get the bettas ready u should offer them live food (if possible) I recently tried to feed my males some thawed out brine shrimp and they elevate not interested. What else could I offer them to get them in breeding condition? This is something I have wanted to do for a while now and I am very excited to get started on it! Any info would be wonderful. I have gotten as far as the "couple" having eggs and the male placing them in the bubble nest. But they never hatched and that has been almost 3 years ago. Also I am used to themales building bubblenests in their homes but none of mine have done that yet? How should I get them stated on this? They can kinda see eachother but r not really close...I dont want to stress them out by putting them to close. Should I just introduce a female near their homes?

AquaticTim

Medium Fish
Nov 30, 2010
Wisconsin, USA
To my knowledge, it would not be a good idea. Not only is it ussually smarter to breed the same species, but it's actually even better to get a brother/sister. I don't know the scientific explanation, but basically you will lose the parent's traits by crossbreeding, including size, shape, fins, and color (If you can even get them to pair up, which would likely be a challenge.) I would recommend finding a reputable betta breeder and getting a brother/sister. Just found this site as well, seems to have a lot of useful info for your situation. breeding bettas

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; A couple of points as I understand them. First; all betta splendens are of the same species and the different types may better be called varieties (or breeds). Generally if two animals can produce offspring that can in turn reproduce, they are the same species. (hybrids – mules discussion not included here.) Think of all the breeds of dogs. The varieties of bettas around today is much greater than when I started keeping them 50 years ago. They came about by the same selective breeding process that gave us all the dog breeds from two wild types. Look up a picture of a natural wild type betta.
Think of your betta like a dog owner who owns a pure breed dog. If a pure breed dog runs the neighborhood and mates all around, you will get some sort of mixed breed offspring. That offspring may look something like the parent, but if it breeds feely in the neighborhood you eventually get a mutt (Heinz 57) Your beautiful betta was likely developed by people who did just what you are thinking of. Over time they may have tried various crosses, kept the best and culled the rest. (By cull, I mean kill.) It sometime happens that in developing a variety for big fins or color, a poor health condition is developed as well. (Think Dalmatian dogs.) You well may have around half of a group of offspring deformed in some way. I imagine there could have been significant culling in the process that produced your betta.
Again it is my understanding that you may come up with something new and brilliant because there is a somewhat random chance of gene combinations that may have never happened before. The odds for this are likely low. Feel free to critique these comments.

Mixicano

Small Fish
Aug 7, 2009
Milwaukee
SK is pretty much dead on for the most part... while i also enjoy breeding betta you don't REALLY need to cull off the undesired offspring, i usually give them to friends and family or sell them to a LFS for dirt cheap, but yes what will happen is that when you do get a successful clutch there will only be a few that look really great, a couple of females and a couple of males the good males will breed to the good females and the the other good females will also breed to the original male, so on and so forth until you get something that will breed true.

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello Mixicano; I prefer your solution to culls. A person breeding bettas who does not have your more humane way to deal with culls available may be forced to choose between killing or housing a large number of offspring. I have no personal knowledge, but does anyone know how commercial breeders deal with culls?

eternal

Small Fish
Jan 4, 2011
Banbury
I was wondering this myself. If you breed Bettas (or any fish), what is usually the number of offspring? and if successful in breeding, what do you do with them all. I've seen some people say they sell them to a LFS store, is that a common thing to do?

Breeding bettas is something I want to do in the future.

Best of luck Cat!

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
I have an express interest in breeding my beautiful male bettas I have got from petco. I am gonna set up a 10 gallon tank as a quarantine/breeding tank. My main question is can I cross different species of bettas? For example can I cross a male half-moon with just a regular female? 3 of my 4 males r hapfmoons the other is a crowntail. I know I can get a crown tail female but I have yet to come across a half-moon female. Also I know to get the bettas ready u should offer them live food (if possible) I recently tried to feed my males some thawed out brine shrimp and they elevate not interested. What else could I offer them to get them in breeding condition? This is something I have wanted to do for a while now and I am very excited to get started on it! Any info would be wonderful. I have gotten as far as the "couple" having eggs and the male placing them in the bubble nest. But they never hatched and that has been almost 3 years ago. Also I am used to themales building bubblenests in their homes but none of mine have done that yet? How should I get them stated on this? They can kinda see eachother but r not really close...I dont want to stress them out by putting them to close. Should I just introduce a female near their homes?
Breeding bettas is a time-consuming and expensive venture. You need to have your breeding tank (generally a 5-10gal with a bare bottom and about 3" of water in it), a grow-out tank for the fry (30-40 gallons), individual jars or containers to separate out the males when they become old enough to start fighting, and time to do water changes on each of the jars every day (100% water changes since they aren't filtered). You also need to have homes lined up for the potentially HUNDREDS of fry you could have.

As far as breeding different "species," you are talking about breeding different tail types, not different species. All the bettas you get in the pet stores are betta splendens. This includes the tail types: halfmoon, veiltail, crowntail, delta, super delta, plakat and halfmoon plakat. Breeding a normal (veiltail) betta to any other tail type is not advised because the veiltail gene is a dominant gene and all your babies will end up being veiltails. Also, breeding pet store bettas is not advised because of their unknown genetics. You don't know what kinds of deformities (which could be recessive) or anything that may be passed on from the parents.

Brine shrimp don't have enough protein to properly condition your bettas. Try something like frozen bloodworms thawed in garlic juice.

To be completely honest, I would highly advise AGAINST breeding your bettas. I would also look at the reasons why you are breeding them. Is it to create a show line (which you can't do with pet store bettas...they won't be accepted into the IBC)? Is it to make money (good luck with that...most betta breeders LOSE money, just like most dog breeders LOSE money)? Do you have the money and time to commit to raising and caring for the potentially HUNDREDS of fry, and do you have good homes line up for them once they are old enough to go to new homes?

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
all splendens are of the same species, unless you can obtain a different species such as betta mahachai or betta imbellis. Hybridization *is* possible, but it's best left to the pros. They got dragon/metallic/copper bettas thru hybridization.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
If you will go to the "'Betta/Gourami Discussion" you will find a Sticky (Thread) "Round Two!! Finchy + Ruby". Read that. It is a journal from beginning to end from someone who bred Bettas. I will give you some idea of what you are in for and if you want to do it.

Feb 12, 2011
You will know when she is ready to spawn because she will start showing a white spot near her anus. It is the ovipositor that expels the eggs when they are in the mating embrace.

Nov 25, 2010
I think my basic reason for wantin to breed bettas is because about 4 years ago I tried out of curiosity, and the eggs never hatched. It's turned out to be a challange for me at this point. I havenread the post from the guy that breed bettas and found it very fascinating. I'm positive I have the time for the water changes, and I know I can get all the things required for the fry. Big difference is that this time I want to do it right. Not the way I did it the first time. Rehoming should not be that difficult for me. So to answer ur question about why? Because I want the experience basically.

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
we are talking about 100+ baby bettas in each group of babies. That means in a small group you will have 50 baby males in baby food jars or the likes that need changing every day.

LOTS of them are likely to turn out ugly (hence culling for most breeders and in the commercial world)

To be successful you would need a pretty good understanding of genetics.