Bamboo shrimp & Ick treatment

cpatval

Small Fish
Aug 3, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
One of my neon tetras just developed ick and i now need to medicate the tank. I'll be using Jungle Ick Clear. Should i remove my bamboo shrimp from the tank? It doesn't state on the medication that i need to remove any invertebrates but I just wanted to make sure. I remember reading another thread (which of course i can't find now) that someone had killed their shrimp do to the medication used to cure his fish.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Jan 19, 2005
Mesa, Arizona
You might want to look into providing your shrimp with a supplemental food source for a while after you re-introduce it/them to the tank. After so many water changes your water will be very clean--probably too clean for the shrimp to filter-feed from. To be honest, I'm not sure what you could supplement them with, but you could ask around. Just something to consider...

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
If it's not a copper-based medicine, then a couple of large water changes and running carbon in your filter for a couple of days after the treatment is over should be OK.

If it's copper based, I'd do lots and lots of water changes over a week or two before adding it back. Carbon won't remove copper, but you can get copper removing filter media, or you could try Poly Filter when the treatment is over.

cpatval

Small Fish
Aug 3, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Okay, i'm getting ready to put my bamboo shrimp back into the tank. Hopefully all will go well (and thanks Balloon Fish for your advice - i'll try looking for some ghost shrimp). I'll be watching my shrimp closely but I'm not sure what to look for. Can anyone tell me signs and symptoms to watch out for for an unhealthy bamboo shrimp?

Thanks again.