Baby Shrimp

bobHE

Medium Fish
Oct 30, 2003
Nevada
Visit site
The real question is, how'd you get them to breed? My amano's have had eggs several times but I've never seen any hatchlings(probably cuz they end up as fish food). I've always thought of making a shrimp only tank, possibly for the purpose of getting some of them to breed, but mainly 'cuz they are kewl.

ashleigh

Superstar Fish
Jan 8, 2004
Missouri
Visit site
amanos are a bit more complicated to breed- the eggs hatch in freshwater then are swept out to salt- they mature, then come back to fresh. My Lfs has baby cherry shrimp all of the time- they just need cover and good water conditions evidently.
Edit- oh and guys those are cute shrimp, congratulations

Last edited:

sandboxes

Medium Fish
Jun 11, 2003
Springfield, MO
congrats on the newborns! hope they all make it.

ashleigh - i know what you are talking about at Cichlids & Salt. they seem to have lots of young cherry reds. at $8 a pop i'm sure they are loving that.

ecotank - did the shrimp look pregnant for a while? i've never seen my cherries looking that way but my amanos must be "busy" little shrimp. (now i know why none of those every make it)

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Our cherries certainly didn't look anything like the amanos do when they're holding eggs. Our amano females are huge and full of eggs, but the cherry shrimp are a lot slimmer, it seems. Female cherry shrimp are a little paler than the males. Our adult cherry shrimp are probably not even an inch long. We had 3 cherry shrimp (2 females and a male) in a 10g tank with endler males, dwarf cories and a bunch of snails. It's a real tangle in there, and I rarely see the cherry shrimp. There's a lot of reddish things in there: substrate, red ramshorn snails and red on the endlers.

Actually, we didn't even know the cherry shrimp had released eggs. I was looking in the tank a few days ago and saw the baby shrimp. It was a surprise to me! We'll probably leave the babies in there and get a little breeding colony started. I'm thinking we have plenty of tanks they can go into, and the LFS might buy them, too. :)

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I'm not sure if the second adult female is still there; I only ever see one at a time. I think we have at least 3 babies. There could be more, but even if they go behind a stem, you can't see them. Sometimes it takes me 10 minutes just to find one baby. I guess other larvae must have been eaten by the fish. I'm going to put some java moss in there, so there is something really dense for the babies to hide in. It looks like the adult female is holding eggs again :D

sandboxes

Medium Fish
Jun 11, 2003
Springfield, MO
(sorry to deviate from the subject)

ashleigh - i saw the little hatchets today actually. pretty cool...not necesarily my favorite, but cool nonetheless. i'm not blaming him for selling them for that much...he's just got to love it when they are all profit! ever thought of ordering from http://www.azgardens.com ? i like some of their shrimp, snails, etc and i can't find them locally. however, i can't afford the small order and high shipping costs from azgardens.com. just curious if we could get a group from springtown to go together on an order. ???