Are parrots part convict?

tramca

Large Fish
Mar 10, 2003
Liverpool/England
Visit site
I just bought an orange or red parrot ( not sure which, they sold purple ones that actually looked red!). I bought him because he actually came to the front of the tank as I passed. I've called him Michael jackass ( dunno if you,ve seen bo'selecta!?)Well he kinda looks like Michael Jackass.

Anyway, I paid just £6.99 for him. he is about 4inches from mouth to tail.

Now I bought him before I knew he was a hybrid, but the thing is, he may be ugly ( I think he's darned cute), but he didn't ask to be born and I think he needed to be given a chance. He was in a 10 gallon with some kind of tetras. He's a handsome guy and even if he was a dull green I'd still love him, in fact I wouldnt mind a green one too...........

Online with M brought up....how many people keep mixed breed or mongrel dogs and have the oppinion its not the dogs fault it was born that way? They still buy them, or worse, accept them free of cgarge as the owner wants rid of them

Just my opinion.......

I still love my parrot,,,someone has to.

Last edited:

SoulFish

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Florida
www.rainbowaquatics.com
It is different with dogs, Purebreed dogs are clearly labeled and if you want a pure bred you can find them. With hybrids its a whole different ball game, try going to an LFS and try to buy a pure red devil or midas, it is nearly impossible, unless a hobbyist bought some wild or F1s and bred them and sold them to the fish store, the same goes for trying to buy trimacs and getting sold flowerhorns since they breed much more.

Managuense

Superstar Fish
May 16, 2003
Springfield, MO
Online with M brought up....how many people keep mixed breed or mongrel dogs and have the oppinion its not the dogs fault it was born that way? They still buy them, or worse, accept them free of cgarge as the owner wants rid of them
i think you misunderstood me, and dont understand what i am saying here.

the actual dog "breeds" are unnatural and would not exist in the natural world without man's artificial selective-breeding. you would NEVER see dogs like st. bernards, yorkies, bloodhounds etc. if we had not breed them ourselves for specific purposes such as hunting, work, etc.

in a natural system, natural selection would minimize all of these attributes and you would end up with a dog about the size of a coyote with much higher fitness than the breeds we have now. look up "dog genome project" on google.com, you will see what i mean.

i actually prefer mongrels, which normally do not have many of the problems associated with "pure" breeds such as hip-displasia (sp?), cancers, etc.

my argument is this: I dont understand how you can argue for long finned fish, albinos, high-colors, etc. - but against hybrids.

since hybridization occurs in the wild, as well as albinos, long fins etc. i dont see how hybrids are any more "unnatural" than line-breds??

i just dont care for parrot fish, as many of them are deformed and and have physical-abnormalities that hinder their ability to properly function.

i honestly dont care if someone else wants to keep them--- they are not in my fish tank.

this subject has been beaten to death on every forum i have been a member of, and it usually gets people angry for reasons that i dont understand.
M

I went to another lfs, and I saw a parrot there that looked like a red devil/midas. You could still tell it was one cause of its mouth (couldn't close all the way, psuedo smile)and slight cheeks, but for the most part it had the body of a RD/Midas. It didn't have the obviously seperated head and body like most parrots.

Emily

Medium Fish
Sep 13, 2003
kansas
msn.com
i have a parrot but didn't know till later that it was hybrid, all the same it is a good fish but then again ignorance is bliss lol, but i really like the one i have, i don't think i will buy anymore though.....oh and i had always thought that they were half severum half red devil, or so i read but then again you almost can't be a 100% sure anymore, the expression buyers beware rings a bell, ha, at least i learned to do my research now. kind of wierd about that suggestion that the bp is red devil + synspilum, i have one and it looks absolutly nothing like my bp, it is however an interesting combo that i haven't heard of, it is always nice to find out something new