Are parrots part convict?

I was at the lfs a few days ago, and I got to staring at the blood parrots for a while. And then I stared at my convicts when I got home. Then I went back to the lfs cause I ran out of stress coat. And stared at the parrots some more. I am almost certain that parrots are part convict. They have the same sort of squished face as parrots, although they don't have the big eyes or non-closing mouth. Just stare for a while and you'll see it! So is it like a severum x convict?

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
Here are some combinations people think make the blood parrot

Midas Cichlid(Cichlasoma citrinellum) + Redhead Cichlid(Cichliasoma synspilum)

Red Devil(cichlasoma erythraeum) + Gold Severum
(Cichlasoma severum)

Red Devil(cichlasoma erythraeum) + Green Severum
(Cichlasoma severum)

Red Devil(cichlasoma erythraeum) + Quetzel
(cichlasoma synspilum)

Red Devil(cichlasoma erythraeum) + Gold Severum
(Cichlasoma severum)
+
Cichlasoma "theraps"
fenestratum

No Convict though

Managuense

Superstar Fish
May 16, 2003
Springfield, MO
She then said that the offspring (Parrots) are sterile and that is why they sell for $28 a piece.
this seems like a reason to NOT sell them for such a high price doesnt it?

in all honesty, i think BP's sell for such a high price simply because they are so popular.

i have to admit that i am not too crazy about a fish that looks so deformed, but thats just me.

i really dont care about the fact that they are a hybrid, i just dont like them.
M

I'm not interested in keeping parrots, I was just checking them out and thought their faces really resembled my convicts. I also have one more question, is there a white african cichlid with blue spots that resembles an mbuna (sorta kenyi shaped)? I saw a batch of some at my lps, and I have no clue what they are.

lightning

Large Fish
Dec 30, 2002
Texas
Visit site
my LFS has a batch of deformed parrots, some look like a bite got taken out of its back, they are messed up, and they started carrying those dyed ones now, green ,purple, i gave him a hard time but his response was that its what the people want, he's running a businees, and if they bring in the coustomers and money then he is going to sell them

SoulFish

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Florida
www.rainbowaquatics.com
All parrots are deformed, they are hybrids that should not be bought or sold, they hybridized fish to make the parrots which cannot even close their mouths and then dye them all different colors because people think they are "cute", in my opinion they are the ugliest fish not because their looks but because what they are, supporting the sale of them only supports further hybridizing and dying and other immoral practices like bioengineering fish, such as the glow in the dark ones.

Above is my opinion.

Managuense

Superstar Fish
May 16, 2003
Springfield, MO
this topic is SO completely and utterly overdone...but i have to chime in on it once again.

All parrots are deformed,
i 100% agree with this statement and do not understand why someone would want to pay good money for a fish that looks like it got slammed in a car door when you can pay the same amount (or less in many cases) for a non-hybrid fish that are not deformed-- and are NOT STERILE.

they are hybrids that should not be bought or sold
i have to disagree on this for a couple of reasons.

i have yet to hear a good argument against hybrids that doesnt also apply to long-finned fish (male bettas are an often overlooked example of this), high-colors, lyre-tails, albinos, etc.

there is NO-- absolutely NO good reason to selectively breed albino fish other than the fact that people like them and will buy them.

i dont see how it is possible to be on one side of the issue and not the other..... and i will be the first to admit that i love long-finned angels and the many discus types available now.

plus, i am willing to bet that many people who are against hybrid fish probably own some type of dog--which more than likely would not exist if not for human selective breeding for what WE want from wolves and coyotes.

so, i cant say that i really care what someone else wants to keep in their fish tank.

the people who keep BP's love them and dont care about what other people say about them.

furthermore, this argument will never be resolved and usually only leads to BP keepers getting very angry...... so i have become quite apathetic on the issue.
:)
M

Last edited: