Are Black Skirt Tetras aggressive or fin nippers?

rohnds

Large Fish
Apr 23, 2005
Austin, TX (born NYC)
I didn't know that these fast moving black skirt tetras are aggressive till my guppies that I put in the tank start dying.
I put in three the 1st time and they died and then three weeks later I put two and they are now dead.
It is 40 gallon tank. I have four platys, 2 black skirts and 6 neons tetras.
For some reason they all have survived except for the guppies I have put in.
Guppies are slower and smaller than all the others and their flowing tails is tempting target for fin nipper.

Are black skirt tetras just aggressive or fin nipper? or both?

Rohn

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
I bought black skirt tetras when I first got my tank three years ago. They are in a community tank with serpaes, angel fish, a betta, platies, and neons with no problems. They actually seem almost laid back and a not especially exciting and colorful fish. This is my experience. I also found them very hardy.

rohnds

Large Fish
Apr 23, 2005
Austin, TX (born NYC)
Usually fish that are semi-aggressive tend to be less aggressive when they are in a school of 7 (odd numbers)

But I have read that black skirts are fin nippers and sometimes aggressive towards slow moving fish.

-Rohn

Jun 16, 2017
I've had a school of 5 black widow tetras for a few days now and I've found them to be very aggressive. They're constantly fighting with each other and harassing my Japanese fighter (beta). I'm returning them and going for a truly peaceful community fish species. They should be reclassified as semi-aggressive/aggressive.