aquarium mess

Jul 29, 2012
texas
Okay starting this aquarium started off so wrong its not even funny first the aquarium i bought six years ago went missing so my mother let me have her twenty five gallon (one time salt water) aquarium went to walmart to get the chlorine removal chemical end up grabbing the wrong one didn't find that out til me and my husband put a few fish in it and they started dieing from chlorine poisoning ran to walmart found the right chemical amongst the mess on the shelf ran back home put it in hoping to save my algae eater day later found him on the bottom of the tank breathing just not moving hours later found him not breathing end up having a crab and a snail did research on both found out i was miss informed about both ran to walmart again to get aquarium salt three days later found my crab my husband calls joe on his back i use to have aquariums i use to have a turtle i don't remember it being this saddening and this difficult just to have a few fish for my husbands first aquarium ... is debating if she should just go to salt since she lives near the ocean and all she has to do is go cast netting to get fish and grab water or if she should try one more time at brackish water :eek: dismayed and frustrated could use some advice

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
Hi, welcome to the forum! First thing to do is learn a bit about the principles of water quality - are you familiar with the nitrogen cycle? You can read up on some of the 'cycling' stickies on this site. Regardless of what kinds of critters you plan to keep, water parameters are paramount to their health. Just dumping water from the ocean in a tank, for example, will not guarantee proper water quality for captive fish...

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
I'm not sure crabs and snails need any salt. IMO starting with a freshwater tank until you get the basics on water parameters understood; would be the way to start.