Also Wanting to Buy

Goffee

New Fish
Oct 22, 2002
The only reason why arrowanas are so expensive is because they are considered an endangered species so they are protected by some act.  Only asian arrowanas are that expensive, silvers, australians and blacks are fairly cheap can purchase then as juveniles for less than 100 canadian. silvers are like 25 canadian 5 inches or something.

Asians on the other hand have microchips implanted which tells a person where it was born and raised.  They come with certificates to prove that it is a tank raised specimen.  All asian arrowanas available to the public are tank raised btw.  I believe the order from least expensive to most is green, gold, then red.  There are as well many degrees of red, gold and green. such as super chili red lol.  People pay a lot for these fish because among the chinese it is thought to bring good fortune to the owner :)

Oh btw arrowanas are probably not the most expensive fishes. Koi are :) very large specimens can go for more than $100,000. I believe the highest was $300,000. Got to take into account that these fish live very long, cant remember how long though. Can outlive their owners usually.

Ovrclckd

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Asian Arrowanas here a CITES listed, microchipped and come with papers. Asian arrowanas in asian countries are still very expensive. Your not just paying for papers.

Golden arrowanas are by far the most expensive. An amazing specimen will go for $10K in my market. A golden crossback arrowana grows up to be a lustrous 24k gold color, definitely associated with prosperity. Your paying because they are nice fish, and they are rare. Ever seen a super red or a good example of a golden you'll know what I mean.

D

discusaquarium

yes i know what you mean. sheesh those fish are nice looking, but they're too rich for my blood - right now...anyways.
http://www.dragonfish.com/

for all you guys who havent seen some of these crazy colors on arrowanas. :)

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I believe certain breeders have a monopoly on the arrowana (gold, redtail gold, super red) trade.  It's kinda like diamonds.  Only a couple of companies own the vast majority of diamonds in the world, particularly one in south africa, I believe.  There is plenty of diamonds, it's just that they are regulating the flow of how much diamond can be sold each year, thereby regulating the cost also.  This is concept is also used in the aquarium trade, especially arrowanas because only a select few have these fish and are able to breed them, especially in Singapore.  

D

discusaquarium

you're exactly right, and just like diamonds, people are still going to want 'em. neverending story.

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
I personally find these fish to be ugly. They look kinda like a carp. I agree on the monopoly thing on the fish. That's unfair but can you blame them? I mean seriously think about it. ;D