Alleni Trio

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
'Goliath' (male)

(recently shipped to me---his dad was huge)

'Lefty' (male)

(my 'original' male out of the pair I bought---he recently lost his right claw during a moult, but it's growing back)

'Frost' (female)

(get too close and she'll make you shiver)

That's ^^^ my entire cray collection at the moment.
BV

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Yup, I'm gonna breed them soon...
Goliath is gonna get to take the first stab at Frost. He just moulted the other day, so I've been giving him a few days to harden up before tossing him in with the female. Hopefully he's in form one (mating form).

If he's not in form one and doesn't happen to moult back before Lefty moults again, then I'll give Lefty a shot at fathering some babies. I want him to go through at least one more moult so he can grow that claw back a bit bigger before trying to have him mate with the female.

Thanks guys!
BV

P.S. Bob...be nice. :rolleyes: *crazysmil

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
I got rid of 'Lefty,' so all the pressure is now on 'Goliath' to become a daddy.
Good news is that he moulted (back into mating form) the other day...

Check out the comparison in claw size:
BEFORE

AFTER^^^

Now I just need the female to hurry up and moult.
She hasn't moulted in a while, so I want her to get that over with before breeding.

BV

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Thanks for the comments. :)
Goliath's claws wre huge after he molted!
Yup, you're right about that!
His dad was a pretty hefty cray too---and I've seen pics of him from the guy who sent me Goliath. He is currently still raising some of Goliath's siblings, and I plan on implementing Goliath's 'growth genes' in a breeding program I recently decided to embark upon with a couple of other collaborators. Should be some pretty cool stuff in store for the future...

Gerald, a 2.5 gal. hex could work, but it wouldn't be ideal---especially considering Goliath's offspring will get pretty big rather quickly (if they take after their father at all). These smaller hex tanks just hardly have any footprint to them. At full-grown, the cray would be pretty much confined to running around in circles. My recommendation would have to be for a 5 gal. standard footprint---10 gal.+ being much better.

BV

AlyKat

Large Fish
Aug 3, 2007
New York
Thanks!
Goliath and Frost mated a while back, and now I've got my 20 gal. long tank full of baby crays. :D

BV
Awesome...their color should be awesome cuz she's just an amazing shade of blue! Did she have her own tank? Now I'm wondering if I should put mine in her own tank? If those eggs are fertile, I'd like to raise the babies...and igf they're not, I'd like to get her a husband...;)...hmmmmm...maybe from your brood?