Air bubbles in fish poop?

Jan 15, 2013
Hi!
I have a 6" common goldfish in a 10 gallon tank with filter, heater, air pump, light, etc. Water quality readings:
-Ammonia 0
-Nitrate 20
-Hardness 150
-Chlorine 0
-Alkalinity 180
-pH 7.2
Just yesterday, I noticed clear, stringy poop with air bubbles in it trailing behind her after I fed her some butter lettuce. She promptly spit it out, but I guess she ate it afterwards.
I fed her a pea, thinking that she might be constipated, but as far as I know it hasn't helped. I normally feed her a mix of flakes and pellets with bloodworms once a week.
Thank you for your help!

Feb 27, 2009
No nitrite reading? And same numbers for the betta tank, other than nitrates? Odd...I think there is something wrong with your test strip(s).

A 6" goldfish in 10 gallons of water would require frequent water changes. What is your water change schedule for the 10 gallon tank?

Jan 15, 2013
Oh sorry, I forgot the nitrite, it's 0.
I usually change 25-50% of the water each week. I wish I could get her a bigger tank but I already have a hamster, hermit crabs, tortoise, and betta besides her so it's a little hard cost-wise.

Feb 27, 2009
I definately would check into the accuracy of your test strip(s). 50% water change weekly on that small of a tank with that sized goldfish would be impossible to maintain. The tank is wayyyyyyyy overstocked.

Just my opinion...

Feb 27, 2009
Sorry - as for the problem listed (air bubbles), that indicates that the fish is ingesting a lot of air while feeding or in an attempt to get more oxygen. It would be normal to show in its waste.

Jan 15, 2013
Thank you OrangeCones...unfortunately I don't have a backyard pond or know anybody who has one...however, I might be able to get a, say, 20 gallon. Would that be big enough?

Feb 27, 2009
I might be able to get a, say, 20 gallon. Would that be big enough?
In my opinion (everyone has their own idea of stocking amounts), for a 'fancy' goldfish (they only get 6-8" max) a 20 gallon would be the absolute minimum. A common (comet) goldfish can grow to over a foot long, and should be kept in a very large tank (100+ gallons) but preferably a pond.

Jan 15, 2013
I feel so bad for the poor fish...you see, my neighbors moved away and left the fish with a 10 gallon tank with me. I had no idea I was overcrowding her so much.
100 gallons is definately too expensive...a 50 gallon would probably be the best I could do. Would that be OK?

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
50 gallons would be fine, but in my opinion goldfish are like river monsters, they just keep growing and produce lots of waste. I bought two fancies for my son a year ago for his ten gal. Well that didn't last long so we upgraded him to a 30gal. And they are getting bigger still. I can't wait for spring so that I can put them in my neighbors pond. I would never buy another one for a tank.

I think sometimes people over exaggerate tank space but in the case of gold fish I believe their nature, size and waste demand a pond size enviroment.

I would focus your effort into rehoming it. Then when your ready to get your 50gal you can use it for the variety that tropical fish have to offer.

Jan 15, 2013
Oh, of course...I'd never just release her to the wild. I might put up an ad for her and I'll scout around to see if there's a place where I could donate her. Do you think PetSmart would take her back? She's a lot bigger than the fish they have now, but maybe they could sell her for a lot.

Jan 15, 2013
All right, I've decided. I'm going to donate Charlotte (that's the goldfish's name by the way) to a pond or ask PetSmart if they'd take her back. Then I'm going to spend the money on a 37 gallon and get a small assortment of tropical fish. They're prettier anyway LOL.
One thing, though. Does PetSmart anesthetize fish if they're not sold in time? I'll never give Charlotte to them if they do.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
I don't know where you live, but as long as the fish has done okay this long maybe you could keep it for a couple of more months until spring and than advertise it on Craigs list or even at the pet store so someone that has a pond could take it in.

Jan 15, 2013
Alright, I advertised on Craigs list and already someone responded! Pond life for Charlotte!
Of course, I'll check out this person's standards and pond quality before I turn my fish over to him but it sounds like he'll take good care of her.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Nice turnout. Does he have other fish in the pond or will Charlotte get the pond to herself?

The problem is pet stores don't inform people of what different fish actually need - goldfish are so commonly seen and sold, and they show the pictures on all the fish tank boxes of these tiny little tanks. Petsmart actually sells a 3g "goldfish kit." So it isn't common knowledge how big and messy they normally get. I won a few at a fair when I was little, and we kept them in a 3-5g tank, with few water changes; not surprisingly, they didn't live all that long.
Goldfish are cheap, accessible, and hardy, and that's a bad combination with large and long-lived (10+ years). Same issue with iguanas (which get to about 6 feet long and generally get aggressive as they mature, but few who buy a baby realize the actual potential of the lizard).

Also to touch on the initial question - fish can also get gas (more common in some species than others) which you will see as little air bubbles rising up, or they can come out while pooing and so the bubbles in the poo.