a 10gal stomopod nano

seastaar88

Superstar Fish
Feb 1, 2004
middletown, CT
about your clown....from your description, it sounds like skin flukes (a skin parasite). signs of this include: scraping itself against things, faded color, mucus, spot reddening, ragged fins. it may also be a slime disease (dullness due to mucus, frayed fins, weakness, gill damage).

i would NOT put the clown in your tank, but a hospital tank, which i think you've done. the first thing i would do was give the clown a formalin bath for 15-20 minutes and treat the quarentine tank with formalin.

something

Large Fish
Nov 8, 2004
southern CA
Update

Friends tank:
My friends clown appears to be doing better, its getting some of its color back and the formalin bath helped him a bit. We continue to treat him and if all goes well we'll treat the tank too (if this doesn work hes thinking of "nuking" the tank with CuSO4, and starting over). Thanks for the advice

My tank:
Octopus is doing very well, i wish i could say the same for the other inverts in the tank. I found the remains of that mithrax (not so emerald green) crab outside of the octopus' lair.....yes, he has a lair, and he even created a working door out of a small piece of live rock. Ill get pictures of it as i clean the tank tomorrow (which no longer scares him). As a matter of fact, i was able to show him to a bunch of people in my dorm because he was out and about mid-day (very rare before). Hopefully i can start hand feeding him (yesterday he attacked the feeding stick as me and my roomate herded a ghost shrimp closer to him).

Question:
Kenya tree coral; yay or nay?

ill post pics of the tank as of now soon, also pics of were id like to put some more coral

something

Large Fish
Nov 8, 2004
southern CA
update

Well, i just freaking saved like $50 on some coral; its been a good day *BOUNCINGS . I've been going to the same lfs for a while now (they all know me to the point where they get "the usual" when i walk in), and its really starting to pay off. Today i walk in and ask how much a small (3-4") piece of zoo-covered LR was, the dude said "for you, dunno, $5", so naturally i say "tight, im just looking for some cheap coral". What he did next, however, i didnt expect. He says "oh, ok" and proceeds to break off two separate pieces of leather coral (kenya tree and something else), a small mushroom frag, and something fluorescent green. So i got some coral that was normally priced at $40 a piece for $5. The zoos look nice, a dark green to purple to orange (center).

Octopus update:
The first attempts at contact have been made. I tried to hand feed him a small crab today, and although he didnt take it from my hands, he didnt sink away and hide. Hopefully, with time, he'll accept food from my hand.

Pics to come (when coral opens up and whatnot)

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
that does appear to be one of the many corals often sold as kenya tree...when i get home i can look in borneman and try to give you the scientific name, but it is probably Nepthea sp. or Capnella sp.

not a big fan of creepy crawlies

Last edited:

something

Large Fish
Nov 8, 2004
southern CA
Heres another pic of the leather coral:

and the octopus:

If its not kenya tree it wont pose a problem, will it? The only reason i got it (besides the fact that it was like $5) was becuase i thought id be easy to care for.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
appears to be Capnella imbricata and no it won't be a problem, only thing of significance in Borneman is that it needs a little bit of feeding in addition to light b/c the majority of its nutrients are not provided by zooxanthellae

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
ive never been there...if im back in the LA area visiting friends etc ill have to drop in and check it out

and it really does help to have a repoire with a good LFS owner for both advice and pricing...i was in to the only good LFS here within an hour of me thursday afternoon and the owner and i just chatted for an hour or so (i was the only customer) and he gave me a really nice torch coral for only $10 which was at least half what it would have sold for, but he knows me pretty well because:

1) his stuff is really high quality
2) he is the only close shop

and he always gives a little discount to people who are in there on a weekly basis :rolleyes: