• Less Fish

Votes: 2 7.1%

• Total voters

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
Nice tank, really like it. Mabey you could put some foreground plants more in the front and in the forest of vals. E. tennellus would look great there.That would spread the attention to the tank over all levels, and not just the top. And mabey add a few more reds like the cryptocoryne wendtii you already have. Your Lilaeopsis novaezelandiae looks like its doing very well.

Keep it up, looks great.

catfishmike

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sin City, again...
your tank is beautiful.i love the plant arrangement,it looks real natural.i suppose a few less fish could be in there but thats me,although with the way your tank looks i doubt you miss a water change,so it wouldn't matter

SLO-Dean

Large Fish
Jan 27, 2003
SLO, CA
Visit site
Fish are listed in my signature, actually a bit crowded right now.
Val. has gone a little crazy, I have pruned it some and moved into my other tank and also just pruned back the Giant Hygro.

Tried to fill in foreground with some Gloss. but that didn't take, will let the smaller ones there spread, as they are doing slowly.

Don't know what you meant by too organized. I did put taller plants at sides and in back, the Giant Val. just seemed to spread more than I had anticipated. (it has always slowly died on me before or was devoured by my fish)

steve535

Large Fish
Feb 10, 2003
nj
Visit site
the tank looks great i agree you need some forground plants to give your tank more depth.you can try putting low and med, plants in an "s" pattern in the front to make it look like a natural setting.

SLO-Dean

Large Fish
Jan 27, 2003
SLO, CA
Visit site
1) It does have a black background

2) there are low plants in front, (plus several that didn't make it, or were eaten)

3) Yes, it is a "Well Planted tank" as preferred by most of the inhabitants. Lots of places for the Loaches and Plecos to hide.

4) THANKS for the comments.

SLO-Dean

Large Fish
Jan 27, 2003
SLO, CA
Visit site
another pic

Ok, now trying to take these pics I see why you might think I don't have enough fish...they're sleeping and hiding in the plants.

but, I woke some up...maybe you can see them.
Except the Plecos, they went back into hiding.
that's the Gold Gourami up front and center, and the female Congo above.

Some of the Plants:
Ciliata (Cryptocoryne ciliata)
Dwarf Chain broad leaf (Echinodorus quadricostatus)
Giant Hygrophila (Nomaphila siamensis)
Jungle Val (Vallisneria americana)
Java Fern (Microsorium pteropus)
Subulata Sag (Sagittaria subulata )
Amazon Small (Echinodorus bleheri)
Wendtii-Red (Cryptocoryne wendtii)
Petchii (Cryptocoryne petchii)
Lilaeopsis- portions (Lilaeopsis novaezelandiae)

Attachments

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2002
Bend, OR
www.zealotron.com
I don't think less plants, but maybe a different arrangement. I think it lacks a cohesive foreground-background, which is hard to do in a standard 55 because you only have 12" to work with front to back.

I would take the tall ones in the front left corner and make a group of them in the back, try some more short ones up front, you know what I'm getting at. Give it more depth. I think when the short ones up front grow in more it'll look a lot better.

SLO-Dean

Large Fish
Jan 27, 2003
SLO, CA
Visit site
I've done some pruning and rearranging, but that Val. just keeps growing...ALL OVER!

I have filled in the back with Giant Hygro and it too has gone crazy.
the Sag is starting to get going which will help the foreground, I also cut the tops of the Val as it was so long it was laying dwon blocking the light from the lower plants.

I'll put up another pic soon.
I don't want less plants, but I would like them to fill in, yet leave some opn gravel in front so I can vaccuum and feed and enjoy the fish on the bottom.
I created a cave with a flat piece of rock, yet noone seems to want to use it. (on the right)