55 Gallon Reef Tank

Apr 27, 2012
Pennsylvania
It has only been two weeks since I set up my 20 gallon saltwater reef aquarium and I want to upgrade to a 55 gallon. Any suggestions on sand, rock, coral, and fish?????*BOUNCINGS

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
I answered your PM. I would give this SW tank you got going now a few weeks to get going so you can get your feet wet before jumping to a new SW tank. Not to rain on any hopes of the SW tank but there will be learning curves and you will loose some expensive livestock. Really you might want to give it a few months if its your first SW tank. There is much to learn. I have had SW since the late 80's/early 90's era and I still learn stuff all the time.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I've got to agree with KcMopar. Things can go wrong very quickly in a saltwater tank, and it can be extremely frustrating. While the larger the tank, the more stable it is, it's also a lot more expensive if you have a tank crash.

I'd suggest you don't get a standard 55g tank. They're narrow, hard to aquascape, and have a smaller surface area. The tank itself is one of the minor expenses when compared to lighting, skimmers, live rock and livestock, so it's worth spending a little extra to get a better surface area and a built-in sump, etc.

Definitely spend time planning your upgrade. Look into equipment and stocking plans. Figure out which fish you like best, and build your stocking plan around them.

Try your 20g for a few months and see how it works out.