55 Gallon Nano?

logtail

Medium Fish
Mar 10, 2008
Can I make a 55 gallon nano tank, meaning without a filter/refugium? Can I just use 55+ lbs of live rock and a crapload of circulation to accomplish this, or will I have to buy a filter? What kind of lighting do I need? Can I use my existing 2-pin fluorescent fixture with a different bulbs?

supra1997

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2008
Oceanside, CA
www.rdubphoto.com
If I read this correct I believe you are wanting to turn your freshwater 55 into a reef tank. If so you will need to have a nice skimmer (AquaC Remora w/1200 pump), live rock (55+lbs), strong MH lighting, or T5 HO, and a few circulation pumps. Don't try and do it the cheap way, you will just end up spending all of your money and will lose everything eventually.

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
What you want can be done. You will want to toss out the lighting you have now for something stronger, PC, VHO, T5 or MH. Skimmer is highly recommended.

logtail

Medium Fish
Mar 10, 2008
Ok, not to sound dumb, but why a skimmer? What does it do? And if I don't need a refugium, then why do people use them? What is their purpose? Also, is there no way to use the fluorescent fixture I have and get enough light?

supra1997

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2008
Oceanside, CA
www.rdubphoto.com
I'm assuming the fluorescent fixture you have is the one that came with the tank correct? If so then that wont be able to produce enough light to house the hardiest of Saltwater Corals. It is essential they have very bright lighting in order for them to live.

A skimmer is essential to take out all of the garbage in the water that you cannot even see. It will basically keep your corals, fish, and anything else from getting bad water parameters that they cannot live in.

DO some online research before jumping into the saltwater world. Its a very fun hobby, but expensive and difficult at first compared to freshwater.

A few companies also make an all built in type system that has high lighting and a skimmer. I believe the 29 gallon Bio-cube is one of them.

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
for a basic reef aquarium a refugium is not needed. You can always get one but it is not a requirement to take care of corals. Protein skimmers remove dissolved organics in the water. They just make for a healthier aquarium.

logtail

Medium Fish
Mar 10, 2008
Ok, so I will need lighting and a skimmer. I have a 10g nano reef, and it has high power lighting but no skimmer, which is why I asked. The skimmer, does it work like a filter- have filter media, etc.? I have no problem spending money on the tank as I spent a fair amount on my 10g salt water, just trying to get what I need correct.

supra1997

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2008
Oceanside, CA
www.rdubphoto.com
No the skimmer doesn't have any media inside of it. Basically what it does is suck in the water into a chamber and fills the middle chamber and creates a "foam" that moves up into a collection area. The foam-less water then flows back into the tank. This foam is where all of the organics are removed from your water. You will empty this chamber a few times a month and rinse it out.

This is the one that almost everyone on here will recommend and I also just purchased. Works amazing!

Skimmer Link

Last edited: