33gal Discus Tank Set-Up

Katie217

Superstar Fish
Jul 15, 2006
Florida
Got my 33gal tank last night _finally_...Set it up this morning before going to work. This is gonna be like a little 'log' thing about my tank :D

Heres the pics!

Tank before water

Tank after water, with drift wood, heater, and 2 filters :D

any suggestions on where to place the driftwood?

Last edited:

IDunnoWhy

Superstar Fish
Nov 16, 2006
Deerfield, WI
Nice looking set-up *thumbsups , I like the color of the stain on the stand. Is a 33g a permanent home for Discus? Or will they go to your larger tank as they grow? I was thinking of putting one in my 29g but someone said it was too small, do the extra 4 gallons make that much difference?

Last edited:

Katie217

Superstar Fish
Jul 15, 2006
Florida
The 33 is the permanent home for them. Im trying to decide wether to do 3, or 4 discus...Idk yet. But thats going to be with crazy amounts of water changes in a week tho.

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
you could push 4 if you did do water changes often. i personally would push for the 4 just to spread out aggression.
and i like to dritfwood, it looks really nice. :) some plants and the discus will make that tank look magnificant

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Katie...I just had a dream that I had two discus in my 38 gal. tank that looked exactly like the one in your avatar. I kept swapping from live plants to fake plants because I didn't have enough of either :confused: to keep the discus from being skittish. One was slightly larger than the other and, needless to say, he harassed his tankmate to death. :(

I guess that's what I get for not commenting on your thread when I first saw it last night (I was too tired...*SLEEPING* ). ;)

Anyhoo, I'm sure you'll do much, much better with your setup than I did with the one in my 'nightmare.' LOL

Big Vine

Firebug

Large Fish
Jun 15, 2004
Colorado
Katie, I think that running C02 is an excellent idea! It will make your plants live longer. I would also recommend that you only put 3 discus in there. One discus only needs about 10 gallons, so you have 10 gallons for each discus and then some..but you also have driftwood and plants in there as well...It's what I would do anyway. :)

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
Looks good. Plants...ah plants and CO2...hmm. Well you probably know what i'm going to say but...i wouldn't run CO2 and i wouldn't stock the tank full of plants.

But i'm more of a natural guy.

Not to mention if you have a problem with CO2 and to much gets in the tank...discus = dead quick depending on how fast you catch it. And i personally would rather focus on the discus in the tank and not the tank with the discus in it. Thats why i don't mind barebottems myself.

Katie217

Superstar Fish
Jul 15, 2006
Florida
LOL Matt, some how I knew you were going to say something about plants... :p
I was reading up about live plants, and i read that they can make the tank get lots of algae if there isnt the right balance of light, plants, blah blah blah. So if I do do plants I prob wont do C02...unless I HAVE too...idk ahhhhh

forgot something...
I have an established filter on there right now, with an additional filter...soo how long do i leave the established filter on the tank...?

Katie217

Superstar Fish
Jul 15, 2006
Florida
OR OR OR OR OR
would this be more "natural" ;)
All driftwood (buy more peices) and a few plants...err...hmm
I need suggestions :eek:
And Matt, since you know _soo_ much about Discus, whats their habitat like ;) hahahaha