20L Planted Journal...

RISK2123

Medium Fish
Aug 29, 2006
L.A. Cali
So i got this tank set up about 2 weeks ago and i finally uploaded the pics. its definately not done. i have a few more plants, some sand, and more driftwood i still need to put in but let let me know what u think so far.

Specs:

20 G. Long

Ph- 7.0
Temp.- 80

Substrate- shultz aquatic planting soil and some small rocks

Lighting- 2x65w 50/50 Coralife PC's (soon to change) - 3.25 WPG

5 otos, 5 amano shrimp, 3 bettas (soon to change)

DIY CO2

thanks for looking!!

RISK2123

Medium Fish
Aug 29, 2006
L.A. Cali
thanks!! yeah those ottos are awesome fish. seems like they never sleep, always cleaning something =D

but now im pissed off!!!! i went home for lunch to find all but one amano shrimp dead =( i tested the water and everything is perfect. no trace of nitrates (that would be the most likely cause right?) im stumped and pissed =/

i have the co2 diffuser from petsmart, i put a tab in everyother day until i run out and make my DIY 2 Liter...

and 10ml of "florapride" 0-0-3. when i do water changes.

and i forgot to mention earlier, i have a duetto 50 in tank filter.

i did a water change just for the hell of it, but somethin FISHY is goin on here. any ideas?

RISK2123

Medium Fish
Aug 29, 2006
L.A. Cali
jumpfreak26 said:
The deaths could be caused by your tank still in the cycling process, you say there are no nitrates, how about nitrites? It usually takes about 3-4 weeks for a tank to cycle, and you are only on the second week. Do a full test and see what you come up with.
good suggestion, but yeah the tanks definately done cycling (its actually just the plants that have been set up for only two weeks, the tanks been running for about a month). i think i actually figured it out. being the plants are new, i dont think they using all the ferts/nutrients im putting in and the copper in the florapride most likely was too much for them to handle. thanks again for the suggestion though!!

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Looks nice!

I really doubt it was the Florapride that killed your shrimp. Many planted tank keepers regularly dose with trace ferts and the shrimp are fine. I would suspect the bettas, they seem to like killling shrimp. You're sure it wasn't just a moult, right?

RISK2123

Medium Fish
Aug 29, 2006
L.A. Cali
Lotus said:
Looks nice!

I really doubt it was the Florapride that killed your shrimp. Many planted tank keepers regularly dose with trace ferts and the shrimp are fine. I would suspect the bettas, they seem to like killling shrimp. You're sure it wasn't just a moult, right?
uhhh, i typed a long *** response and didnt copy it before i submitted and lost it all =( so this one will be a shortened version

haha, their definately dead though, its not just their sheddings. i honestly dont think it was the bettas. the shrimp had no knicks, nips, cuts, torn fins, missing legs, nothin. plus they have been in that tank with the bettas for about two weeks and were fine, the bettas diddnt even look at them twice as food. then 4 all of a sudden die in one day? in another group i was told that on newly planted tanks the plants cant absorb all the nutrients that you add to the water so most likely there was alot of coppor left in the water from the florapride and thats what killed them. most of the people that buy shrimp keep them in planted tanks because they do such a good job of cleaning things up, so im thinking of waiting about two weeks for the plants to establish themselves in the tank a little more then ill get 1 more shrimp to see if things are ok before adding a bunch more. my plants are in the ealiest stages of pearling so atleast i know they are doing good.