2.5 gal Shrimparium

big54bob

Superstar Fish
Dec 20, 2006
On my office chair playing Runescape
Shrimp tanks are so last month, Shrimpariums are all the rage.

Details
2.5gal BowFront
10watt 5100k Bulb
50watt tetra walmart heater
DIY Sponge Filter(see below)
Ferts are a Seachem roottab and florish
No CO2 yet...............
Flora: Anunubias Nana, Wisterea, Unknown sp. of moss
Fauna: 8 RCS, 1 mystery snail

I started this tank with hopes of breeding RCS, I *think* I may have 6 males 2 females juvie RCS. Hoping to Rig DIY CO2 in a month or so. Trying to grow out the moss as of now.

FTS

(please excuse the clown puke gravel, trying to seed the tank)
Right

Left

As you can see my DIY sponge filter. I used the tubing from a filter I had, added some airline tubing, and sliped a fluval sponge over the bottom part. The suction cup is from the reptile section of petco and that anchors down the filter.

My Snail Lil' Bo Shizzle(don't ask)

Shrimp Pics

Oh and a id on the moss will be helpful

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
from the looks of the moss its java. other wise it could possibly be Christmas moss, but in order to decide that it has to grow on the DW to show its characteristic triangular fronds...sooo its java for now :p

The idea is great. I have that same 2.5, and wanted to do the same exact thing with my RCS. But my RCS got the 10 gallon and invaded it so this 2.5 became a Betta tank..

I wouldn't run the air sponge filter with DYI CO2 because as you know that makes the CO useless. excel would be your best bet there as it doesn't get off-gassed.
Be really careful in this small tank, and keep checking water parameters every week for anything out of the norm. shrimp will die cuz they're pretty sensitive.

Good method on seeding the tank, but that doesn't mean they're safe (i did same thing but my 2.5 had a 5ppm nitrite spike on the third week and all inhabitants, save one apple snail died off >_< luckily all inhabitants at that time were only California blackworms)

So nice shrimparium lol. 7 out of 10 RCS for the tank (if that's the scale you wanna use...) the 7 is only cuz it was just started lol!
good luck on this and keep us updated :)

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
filtering this tank is very difficult for that reason...I went ahead and used the filter that came with the tank (assuming you got the kit) Or you can just try to find a filter that doesn't make much surface agitation, and doesnt make air bubbles float around everywhere...

I have tons of Marimo in my 40 gal, and I dose excel every other day. none of the marimo ever shown any sign of harm. Excel will do no damage to marimo as long as you don't overdose excel...same with any other sensitive plants, excel will kill them if you overdose.
That said I think excel will be a great option for you and that sponge filter :)

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
that's why I said to never overdose...It has had no effects on the 40+ RCS i have in my 10 gal tank, because I use it sparingly, but every other day.

For a 2.5 gal, a drop or two of it every other day is enough...