10gal. cold water algae eater.

Dec 20, 2009
Canada
So I've asked the question of what kinds of algae eater I could put in a 10 gal. cold water tank a million times on here, but I have another fish in mind. My girlfriend has a 10gal. cold water tank with a goldfish in it(soon to be 20gal.)and there is nothing in there for the algae except for a couple of snails I gave her from my tank. Anyways I just found out about hillstream loaches, and I was wondering if I could put one in a cold water tank? Or will that kill it?

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
Hillstream loaches like temps anywhere from 68-75.2F (20-24C). What is the temperature of the tank right now? My biggest concern would be that you'd have to aerate the water A LOT because they have a higher oxygen requirement than a lot of other fish (basically, you'd need to simulate the hillstream loaches natural environment of fast-moving streams).

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
I would say NO. No algae eaters will work in there. Tank is cold, Gold fish are toxic.

The best "algae cleaner" would be the magnetic kind. No Bio load and they don't eat much lol :) they sell them everywhere and they just stick to the side of the tank so that you can clean the glass.

Feb 27, 2009
The best algae eaters are plecos, cory cats, american flag fish, and ottos. However, plecos tend to get quite big, and cory cats like to hang out in small schools, so please consider this. Flag fish are very colorful and well known for their super algae eating. Ottos are small and very peaceful and will not mind the goldfish.
Otos, plecos, and cory cats are tropical fish and do not belong in a cold water tank. Cories are not known to be algae eaters either.

hayer

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2009
aren't flag fish tropical fish as well? i had 1 in a 55 gallon for a while. he was a grump:)o probably just mine) and didn't eat much algae(didn't have much and had a pleco).