10g nano--planning!

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Yes, you can just turn off the noisy part. When I go to sleep I turn off the skimmer part, and then I turn it on in the morning. Again the Skilter will also be used for water movement. I personally would stick with the snails. Your hermit crabs will empty those snail shells quickly.

Sam Reef
10 Gallon Marine aquarium
20 Gallon Marine aquarium

supahtim

Large Fish
Jun 30, 2003
Toronto
evaporation is just something all reefers have to deal with. when adding water back into the tank, make sure to add only fresh water, because the salt content stays in the water. that's how the salinity levels fluctuate so much on saltwater aquariums. something you could do, is get your glass top, but hook up an airstone to your tank and make sure you have a lot of surface aggitation (point the powerheads up). the only problem with that is if you end up with a sponge and it dies from being exposed to air, your tank will be nuked. (unless it's a really really really small sponge).

hermit crabs won't empty the snail shells THAT quickly...unless you starve them or don't give them bigger shells to switch to.

most protein skimmers do need a powerhead. if you end up getting a skimmer with a powerhead, make sure it has a venturi system on it. that's the best way to go imo. i have a prizm skimmer, and i used to turn it off every night before i went to bed, but i'd have to spend like half an hour in the morning trying to adjust it again. i don't use that skimmer anymore.

i don't understand that jlaquatics fixture...a 55w bulb alone is 23" or 21" i can't remember.... so how could a 96w bulb be 20"? email them and ask about that before getting it. if you do go with Island Aquatics, get a retrofit system. they sell the good stuff there...that might also be why it's that expensive.

Tim

anthoeny

Large Fish
Feb 3, 2004
Would the AquaC Remora skimmer work on this 10g? (dimensions: 19.81" x 9.56 x 12.06" )
I do believe that is a skimmer that you place inside your tank and just plug it in and it works; "self-contained", right? ...No hookup to powerhead or anything (?)

Heh- Curiosity sake, are there any other skimmers for the 10g that are cheaper though but still efficient ?? :)

*......This extra skimmer (more equip on a small tank) is why I keep leaning towards the Skilter 250 ?? How exactly is that setup in/outside your tank and how does it function ?

:) Oh, and the Coralife Aqualight 96w is a Quad [50/50's] lamp so it shall fit !

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
It looks just like a medium sized power filter...maybe a little bit taller. The protein skimmer is built directly into the system.

Sam Reef
10 Gallon Marine Aquarium
20 Gallon Freshwater Planted Aquarium

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Personally I would.

Sam Reef
10 Gallon Marine Aquarium
20 Gallon Freshwater Planted Aquarium