10 gallon nano for christmas..

Sep 21, 2004
Grand Blanc, MI
Visit site
Should I get a 10 (maybe a 12) gallon nano for christmas? I saw one at my lfs, I dont know if it is a 10, or 12. It is cool looking, and I may fet a hermit crab, a couple clownfish and an anemone, and some more coral. It is square shaped, so it is really cool.What fish could I ge? How big do yellow tangs get? I want one, but think they may get too big.. I dont know the first thing about saltwater nano. Or any saltwater at that..What equipment will I need? salt, filter, air pump?, coral, (how do you get the coral to stick to the glass, or wherever you put it)?, heater, any "only saltwater" equipment I dont know about? If so, how much do they run, and what do they do?Also, are the water changes the same? How do you put cycled saltwater back in an establsihed tank?Thanks, just remember I need to know EVERYTHING because I dont know ANYTHING!

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
I would stay away from the anemone. They require perfect water conditions and a fairy large tank. The aquarist should also know a lot about them. You said you wanted a couple clownfish so thats what I would stick with. You might be able to squeeze a small goby in there as well. Yellow Tangs get real big and need a minimum of 55 gallons.

You say you don't know a lot about saltwater. Personally I would research a whole lot more and start with a bigger tank. Yes, the nanos are cool, but are usually not recommended for beginners. There are a ton of threads and other info on this website and others. You will find recommendations for filters and heaters on these.

Best of luck

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
Do yourself a favor (or whoever may be funding this experience) and get a book...it will save you money and frustration, not to mention the lives of critters. Setting up a SW tank is nowhere near as plug and play as FW and infinitely more expensive

The Palleta book "New Marine Aquarium" is very good and Fenner's "Conscientious Marine Aquarist" also has a lot of really important information. Another thing to consider might be a pocket guide type book, I like Michael's "Marine Fish: 500+ Essential to Know Aquarium Species"...coems in handy when you are planning stocking...though in a tiny tank its prbably not necessary

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
those books will have the info you desire and it is posted on both this forum and the general SW forum many times. might read Wayne's stickied thread in general as well as the "What do i need for a SW tank" sticky by phantomfe3

Last edited:

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
you will both need and want the books, it is a worthwhile investment. If you plan to spend $400+ on a tank, $20 worth of books is a drop in the proverbial bucket

like we have said, the info has already been posted...do a little "legwork"

Sep 21, 2004
Grand Blanc, MI
Visit site
I read that and I thank him for putting such useful information on this website..I just saw it for the first time when you requested it..It answered all of my questions and I plan to be getting one of these for christmas.thanx..How much do hydrometers and protien skimmers cost? approximately.

Flex26

Large Fish
Apr 21, 2003
Delaware County, PA
Visit site
Well, I've bought and read SW Aquariums for Dummies. And I'm looking to get Paletta's book for Christmas. But I've decided that I don't want to pay all the money for a SW aquarium. So, can you guys just give me money to help fund my project? I know some people are little short this time of year. So, a little bit from each of you is all I need. Thanks in advance! ;) :rolleyes:

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Make sure you....

ok, next person continue for oscar owner ;)

The Paletta book is really nice as a "manual" style book, and lots of practical advice and tips. It basically leads you through the entire process from choosing equipment to aquascaping to choosing fish. :)

Flex, maybe I can send you a piece of live rock or a cup of salt. ;)