10 gal betta tank

achase

Large Fish
Feb 1, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
Are you asking if a standard is better than a tall?
I believe that shallower tanks are better for bettas since they go to the surface to breath and it easier for them if the surface isn't as far.

Just to check you do know about cycling your tank before you get the betta. I mean no offense if you are aware of this.

Aug 4, 2010
ya i know all bout it have had Betta for years but never in a "regular tank" always low shallow ones like bookshelf ones. i have a regular 10 gal that just opened up for me (ya i found out i don't like taking care of non bettas) and didn't know it if was to tall for their liking since they go to the top to breath.

achase

Large Fish
Feb 1, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
Oh sorry I didn't know your level of experience.....
I would think that a regular 10 gallon tank would be fine. I'm pretty sure that several people on this forum keep theirs in regular depth tanks from 5 gallons to 30 gallons. I kept mine a regular 10 gallon tank and they did good.

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
A regular 10gal is completely fine and your betta will adore you for all the space. I have two males in a divided 10gal right now and they love it. The only time you have to worry about a tank being too deep is if the tank is deeper than 18". It has nothing to do with them being able to get to the top to breathe, as they can use their gills just like a "regular" (non-labyrinth) fish. It has to do with the fact that their swim bladders aren't developed to handle the increased water pressure of deeper tanks. I had this problem with my 46gal bowfront (which is almost 24" deep). My girls kept dying from swim bladder issues. Now that they're in a 21" 55gal with a 3.5" substrate (for a water depth of 17.5"), they're fine.

achase

Large Fish
Feb 1, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
It has nothing to do with them being able to get to the top to breathe, as they can use their gills just like a "regular" (non-labyrinth) fish. It has to do with the fact that their swim bladders aren't developed to handle the increased water pressure of deeper tanks. I had this problem with my 46gal bowfront (which is almost 24" deep).
Good to know! Hehe....the need to breath at the surface seemed like a decent reason although wrong. I knew tall tanks were bad but not exactly why. Thank you for setting me straight Bass!! Now I can share the correct information!

Last edited:

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
they do most of their breathing through the labirinth organ when adults, so youre half right achase.

I have kept a plakat female in my ten gallon without problems. it was open too, and the betta liked it so much that it didnt bother jumping anywhere.

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
I have one female in my 40 gallon breeder (which I think is 18 inches deep, plus like an inch and a half of substrate at the bottom), and she does fine. She's mostly been around the top the last few days, but I've seen her swimming inside some of the decorations at the bottom with no issues.