how many tetra in 2.5 gallon tank?

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
Unless you've already purchased a 2.5 gallon, I would suggest getting the eclipse hex 5 instead. I had a mini bow 2.5 gallon and hated it! It was very loud because of the ugf and in order to cover up the ugf you need about 3 inches of gravel, and even more if you want to keep live plants. I upgraded to the eclipse 5 gallon hex and I absolutely love it. It's extremely quiet and has a bio-wheel. Also, there isn't much difference between the two as far as footprint goes, the hex is just higher. It fits perfectly on our computer desk.

I completely disagree with the statement that a 5 gallon is useless. I love my 5 gallon tank! As long as you don't overstock or overfeed, a 5 gallon can be just as beautiful as a bigger tank. Other than more frequent water changes, there isn't much difference between the 5 gallon and the 26 gallon.

As far as occupants, I have a betta and some snails. Bettas turn into completely different fish when you give them room to swim rather than those tiny cups. He is very active (well once he got used to the current :p ) and he's always at the glass watching us. Cardinal tetras are pretty small and are very colorful but I wouldn't recommend them for a 2.5 gallon. You could have 4 or 5 in a 5 gallon though. A pair of platy's or guppies are also nice, although be prepared for babies galore. Good luck and let us know what you've decided.

boblee

Small Fish
Nov 27, 2005
wow...so many comments and suggestions...thanks..^_^

I think I'll go with the 5 gal hex tank since I only have space to put the tank on my desk. Can any of you guys suggest me what fish I should start with? I really like the tetras since they're so colorful...

would it be possible to get a Figure 8 puffer too?? or are those not good for beginners?

oops..forgot to ask...is the tank "Marineland Eclipse 5 Hex" good?? I mean...easy for maintenance, water changes, etc... as you can see...I don't have much experience with this kinda things...

again...thx for your suggestions..:D

Last edited:

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
A puffer would most likely go after tetras... puffers tend to do best in species only tanks. Plus they are picky eaters and I think they're fairly sensitive to water conditions (not sure on that).

Tetras are good fish for small tanks like a 5g.

Izz

Small Fish
Aug 8, 2004
Visit site
Get a 20 gallon. Stock with 5 harlequin rasboras, 2 ottos, and buy 3 of any single cory species. With those, you have a very efficient tank and some nice color. As for a trophy fish, either a betta or dwarf gourami would do well. There's room to get creative on a few more fish after that. Maybe a small school of tetras (neons would be nice), a snail, or a few shrimp. *SLEEPING*

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
The Marineland eclipse hex 5 is a great tank, that's what I have. As for puffers, figure 8's need about 10-15 gallons each and they do best in species only tanks with brackish water. Dwarf puffers only need about 5 gallons each so you could get one, but puffers are very messy eaters so regular water changes are a must.

In my eclipse 5 I have a male crowntail betta and some snails. I have live plants and a little cave in there. I am planning on adding 4 cardinal tetras if the lfs ever has any. As long as the tetras are small, about 1.5" max, then you could keep about 6 alone, or 4 with an otto. Do NOT get a plecostomus for the tank, they are cute and small in the lfs because they are young but they get really big. Cory cats are also cute but they like to have buddies so don't get one of those either.

Remember, smaller tanks mean that there is less room for error. Make sure that your tank is cycled before you add fish and add fish slowly. Also, the more fish you have in your tank, the more often you need to do water changes.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Make sure that your tank is cycled before you add fish and add fish slowly.
If the tank is fully cycled, you would add the fish all at once. Otherwise, you get a mini-cycle every time you add more fish, as the bacteria catches up to the increased bioload.

cybersymes

Large Fish
Nov 3, 2005
'serendipity' tank
boblee said:
Hi, I'm new with this hobby and I'm planning to get a starter kit that's 2.5 gallon and planning to start with tetra fish...just wondering how many tetras I can put in the tank. Thanks.
just a quick word...
try and start with a bigger tank...
i have a 2.5 tank and it's very difficult...
[i'm a newbie...and starting from scratch]...
i have just got a 40[imp] and it's fantastic...
it's much easier to work with the larger water volumes...
the temp. doesn't fluctuate as much...
and i'll be able to have a lot more fish...

go large dude... :)

edit...just read the other mails...5gall is better...
cardinal tetras...six of...good water changes and a live plant...no worries...

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2005
Philadelphia
www.myspace.com
Seleya said:
Putting danios in a 2.5 gallon is like putting a horse in a 8 X 12 stall

As much as I hate being "that guy," I really can't help it here...

If you do the math, you'll see that this is kind of ludicrous.

On average, a horse is about 5-6 feet long and about 6-7 feet high. Maybe about 3-4 feet wide.

(Let us not forget that a horse is a pedestrian animal - he or she is not capable of swimming or flying through the air. That should initially make this whole point useless...but I'll go on.)

Since the horse is a pedestrian animal, the only area we need to calculate would be square feet. If an average horse is about 20 square feet in total, and he's living in a stall that is about 96 square feet in total, than his body makes up about a little more than twenty percent of his home.

Whereas Mr. or Ms. Zebra Danio is a swimming creature, who uses the length as well as the width and height of his or her home. That considered, let us calculate the same as we would for the horses, except we'll do it three dimensionally.

A 2.5 gallon aquarium has a volume of 576 cubic inches.

A zebra danio has maybe about .20 cu inches of body volume (and that if he's pretty darn big) That makes Mr. or Ms. Zebra Danio a grand total of .03% of the total volume of his 2.5g home.

And again, consider that he or she can swim all around the place.

Yeah, no comparison.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
echoofformless said:
As much as I hate being "that guy," I really can't help it here...

If you do the math, you'll see that this is kind of ludicrous.

On average, a horse is about 5-6 feet long and about 6-7 feet high. Maybe about 3-4 feet wide.

(Let us not forget that a horse is a pedestrian animal - he or she is not capable of swimming or flying through the air. That should initially make this whole point useless...but I'll go on.)
<snip>
And again, consider that he or she can swim all around the place.

Yeah, no comparison.
I guess if you're not the danio, it isn't......

We'll have to agree to disagree. Cramming a fish into a small container because it fits with no consideration of it's needs is irresponsible imo. Our glass boxes are artificial enough without limiting them to pacing such a small space that they have no place to go. Repeatedly bouncing off walls every few milliseconds isn't very appealing to me. A nanotank with a betta happily drifting around vs. a few danios frantically zipping around like pinballs.. I know which I'd choose.

I stand by my analogy however awkward you wish to find it. ;)

lordroad

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2004
Shelby, NC
www.joshday.com
Echo brings up the problems of the oft-quoted "inch per gallon" guideline.

On that note, I 100% stand by my earlier statement and recommendation. Reason? I've done it before, and seen others do it before (my brother, for instance, keeps 3 rasboras in a 2 gallon tank filtered only by live plants and very frequent water changes). My and my brother's fish are doing fine, have been for 4 plus months. Now, I know someone will pick that one apart, so let me preempt for you... how do you know a fish is doing "fine?" My answer: colorful, active, alert, and feeding. I've seen harlequins in 40 gallon plus tanks, and I've seen them in tiny systems. Honestly, the only difference is the difference in the school, not the behavior.

Any other conclusion would be humanizing fish, which is a fallacy.

The motto of this fish forum is diversity. A diversity of successful fish keeping experience. My opinions and experience may go against the grain, but they are just as good as any other opinion because I care about my fish and do my best for them. I do not agree with the majority of the parrot-talk, that I call it, within the hobby, concerning how "useless" ten gallon and smaller tanks are, but that is merely my opinion.

We all have opinions. And opinions are not fact.

Diference between fact and opinion?

Fact: You cannot keep a healthy, growing oscar in a ten gallon system.

Opinion: Five gallon tanks are inadequate for anything except bettas and snails. They are cruel and inhumane.

To hijack even more... has anyone played Super Mario 64? There's a mini-level in there where Mario is swimming around in a 2-liter bottle, approximately the size of a juvenile endler. That's what I thought about when I read Echo's post, how much swimming room is available.

boblee

Small Fish
Nov 27, 2005
Haha..thanks for all the infos and opinions...

For the Eclipse Hex 5 tank....does it have everything it needs for maintenance? Do I need to get anything else? and how frequent do I need to do water changes even with all those filter stuff?

I don't want to sound cheap or anything....just that my budget is kinda limited...but I still want to give this a shot...it's been in my mind for quite a while...

I'll still thinking what to put in the tank...I know you guys would suggest Betta....but I prefer those small little fishs swimming around..

if this idea isn't recommended.. is there any single fish I can put into this tank besides betta and would be a beginner fish? I don't really like the looks of betta too much (no offense to the betta guys)

Also, what should I do after I get the tank? I mean..any preparations before I get the fishs? -- I know there is..but I don't know what the procedures are...sorry for sounding a bit dumb..:(

Last edited:

S-kate

Large Fish
Oct 21, 2005
Ithaca, NY
the eclipse doesn't come with a heater so you may want to get a small one, although the light keeps it pretty warm if you stick with the incandescent bulb. Also the filter moves the water around ok but if you are going to be housing more than a few fish you may want an air stone or some plants to give them O2. I went with plants as it would be hard to find a space for the tube. You'll also need a thermometer. Good luck with your new eclipse, you'll love it.

S-kate

Large Fish
Oct 21, 2005
Ithaca, NY
I hadn't read the rest of your post before posting that last one. Before you add the fish you should set it up with whatever gravel/decor and run it for a couple days and then add plants if you decide to have any. I cycled mine with plants and a snail. Then run it for a few weeks after that and test the amonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels untill there is 0 amonia 0 nitrite and some nitrates. There is a sticky on how to do cycle a tank before adding fish.