how many tetra in 2.5 gallon tank?

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
I'd say 3-4 tetras also. Make sure to get little tetras-neons, black neons, cardinals, lemons, or embers (hard to find). Rasboras would work too, I've heard they're a bit more exciting than tetras.

Other possible choices: guppies, a dwarf gourami and a pair of african dwarf frogs, or white cloud mountain minnows.

Edit: Wow, what happened to the order of replies on this thread?

Last edited:

boblee

Small Fish
Nov 27, 2005
Hi, I'm new with this hobby and I'm planning to get a starter kit that's 2.5 gallon and planning to start with tetra fish...just wondering how many tetras I can put in the tank. Thanks.

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
3-4 max, any more than that and you would be over stocked, and also risk nipped fins. Tetras when confined and not kept in proper schools (at least 6) often resort to violence. In fact some species of tetras are down right nasty to any other smaller or slower fish no matter how many you have.

A sugestion... If you are going to take the plunge. Invest in at least a 29 gal to start.. You have way more choices of fish you can keep and thus are less likely to get bored with the hobby. Not to mention smaller tanks actually require more work and are more touch about changes in their water parameters. These changes happen every time you do a water change. Also the common neon tetra isn't the best beginner fish. They tend to be quite touchy about their water parameters and often are lost to beginner mistakes.

Sep 11, 2005
Philadelphia
www.myspace.com
Forgive my arrogance in seeming like a know-it-all, but zebra danios are probably the absolute best fish to start off with in an uncycled tank. Especially when you consider how small your tank is, you'll want smaller fish who are tolerant of varying water conditions. I'd say to buy two of those, and then wait for the tank to cycle before adding any more fish. Just remember not to overcrowd, a tank that small won't allow you much more than 4-5 small fish. So if you want neons, add 2 or 3 of those after you cycle. At that point you'll pretty much be complete.

Good luck!

boblee

Small Fish
Nov 27, 2005
um....if I were to use the 2.5 gallon space....which fish would be the best for beginners? I heard bettas are a good start...but I don't really like them..Is there any other choice?

thanks.

JWright

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Snowy Upstate New York
www.cnytheater.com
I'm agreed with the general concensus that a 2.5g to start with is typically not a good idea. The smaller a tank is, the more prone it is to fluctuations in chemistry and temperature.

The only thing I would keep in a 2.5g would be a single betta. I know you said you don't like them, but have you ever seen one in a tank that it has room to swim in? They are beautiful fish with _tons_ of personality... but that is unfortunately lost when you stick them in a cup.

Both Danios and Tetras are schooling fish, in the wild they live in groups of thousands. IMO, having less than 10-15 in a tank isn't even worth it, and will cause a lot of undue stress on your fish.

I also disagree with using "hardy" fish like Danios to cycle your tank. Just becuase they're more likely to survive the toxic chemicals that build up during the cycling process doesn't mean it's good for them, and IMO, they shouldn't be subjected to it. I would reccomend you read up on Fishless Cycling, it has a lot of advantages, not the least of which is that it spares your fish a lot of stress.

~JW

Sep 11, 2005
Philadelphia
www.myspace.com
JWright said:
I'm agreed with the general concensus that a 2.5g to start with is typically not a good idea. The smaller a tank is, the more prone it is to fluctuations in chemistry and temperature.

The only thing I would keep in a 2.5g would be a single betta. I know you said you don't like them, but have you ever seen one in a tank that it has room to swim in? They are beautiful fish with _tons_ of personality... but that is unfortunately lost when you stick them in a cup.

Both Danios and Tetras are schooling fish, in the wild they live in groups of thousands. IMO, having less than 10-15 in a tank isn't even worth it, and will cause a lot of undue stress on your fish.

I also disagree with using "hardy" fish like Danios to cycle your tank. Just becuase they're more likely to survive the toxic chemicals that build up during the cycling process doesn't mean it's good for them, and IMO, they shouldn't be subjected to it. I would reccomend you read up on Fishless Cycling, it has a lot of advantages, not the least of which is that it spares your fish a lot of stress.

~JW

My experience with danios tells me otherwise. I used two to start my tank and they showed no signs of stress at all throughout the whole process. Of course I did to scheduled water changes and fed them sparingly.

Those two danios not only survived, but thrived. I only lost one of them a few months ago, and the other is still alive. That tank was started in May of 2003. Plus, when the one died, the ther lived just as happily on his own until I gave him a new friend a few weeks later. Both of them are perfectly happy with each other, acting like the nippy zippy little fish that a danio should be. Just because certain fish are schooling types, doesn't mean they won't do okay in groups of less than ten. In fact, they can do fine with just two or three.

Fishless cycling can be a real challenge, especially for a beginner. Plus I just feel it's unnatural and kind of technical / boring. While I agree it is better than subjecting fish to stress, and I will likely use it for my next tank, I still think that a good hardy fish like a danio or a black tetra, fed sparingly and given good water maintenance, will do just fine.

That's just my experience. I'm sure posts of disagreement will follow.

lordroad

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2004
Shelby, NC
www.joshday.com
I think a 2.5 gallon tank is a great place to start.

I recommend 4-5 harlequin rasboras and a mystery snail or shrimp of some sort.

Also white clouds would be cool too, like Caps suggested. 3 harlequins and 2 white clouds would be neat.

Change out a gallon of water once a week and stock it with live plants and you can easily have 5 small fish like these.

Try to find some Biospira to instantly cycle your tank. The smallest container would be fine for your little tank and is well worth the cost. And don't let your LFS push off some Cycle or any other crap on you--they don't work.

Sep 11, 2005
Philadelphia
www.myspace.com
lordroad said:
I recommend 4-5 harlequin rasboras and a mystery snail or shrimp of some sort.

QUOTE]

I would think harlequins would be a bit crowded at that number. But more importantly, they are not extremely hardy and are known to be sensitive to water conditions. I waited a long time before introducing mine. I'd suggest you avoid them until the tank is cycled and stable.

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
I don't think danio's should be kept in anything under 40ish gallons IMHO. I've seen a vast improvment in behaviour and other habbits when kept in larger tanks. They are an extreamly active fish, and keeping them in small confines just because the body size is small is not always a good practice to follow.

Agian, just my humble opinion, but I don't think it's right to subject any fish to the process of cycling a tank reguardless of how they may appear on the outside. Fish in cycle is going to happen, but when we have the meens other wise I feel that we should do it. It's the least we owe to our fish.

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
I think one thing we are missing is it is also extremely hard to "cycle" a tank this small. Not that it can't be done, but by simply doing a large water change in it you can kill they cycle. IE take away the source of food for the cycle and then it starves.

Danios and harlequins are not suitable fish for this set up! The danios are far to active and zippy if you will, for the confines of this tank. Harlequins also need more room and are not hardy enough to deal with the changing water conditions.

Really the only fish that is well suited for this tank is a betta, even then I would not subject a wild species of betta to the confines of a 2.5

ONeill074

Large Fish
Nov 27, 2005
New Jersey
I'm a beginner too. Like others suggested I would get a larger tank. At least a 10 gallon. I have a 10 gallon tank with 5 neon Tetras and 5 Zebra Danios. I've had them for 2 weeks and all of the fish are doing great. One of them even laid eggs and now I have baby fish!!*BOUNCINGS

Sep 11, 2005
Philadelphia
www.myspace.com
Danios require at least 40 gallons? Does that mean a clown loach needs at least 400? ;)

They are an active fish, but that doesn't mean they require much more than a 10 gallon tank to be very happy. Mine have done nothing but show their best colors and lay eggs like crazy since I got them. They've lived in a ten gallon tank for three years, and now seem just as happy in their new twenty gallon. In fact, I am ready to buy a few more to add to the school.

We could endlessly debate these issues. But I stand by my experience - danios are hardy enough to live healthy through a carefully watched cycle, they don't need to be in groups of ten, they don't require a huge tank, and they certainly are active.

Plus they're cute.

ONeill074

Large Fish
Nov 27, 2005
New Jersey
I'm certainly against animal cruelty, but I have to saY that I think some people are too strict when it comes to the 1 inch per gallon rule. I used to catch minnows in a lake by my house when I was a child and bring them home to live in a bowl (I didn't know any better). The fish survived for a long time. Eventually all died off except for one. I named him Oscar. He was the biggest of the bunch.
Do you really think that all of these commercial pet stores (PetSmart, etc.) really keep up with the quality of the water of the fish that you're buying? All they care about is profit. When you bring fish home from them you're definitely putting them into better quality water than what they came from.
But getting back to the point of this post, a 2.5 gallon tank is useless. A 5 gallon is useless. Why? because you can't have alot of fish!!! And isn't that the joy of having fish? That you can have alot??
How would you like being kept in 2.5 gallons of water? if you can't afford at least a 10 gallon then I wouldn't get any fish. I just got my 10 gallon tank and I'm already dissapointed with the size. I wish I had gotten a 15 gallon.

Last edited:

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
echoofformless said:
Danios require at least 40 gallons? Does that mean a clown loach needs at least 400? ;)
I did not say that they required it. I stated that I thought that they do better in larger tanks. Agian, mearly my opinion. You have your's, and I have mine. That does not meen that one is any better than the other. What works well for one person may not work at all for the next.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Putting danios in a 2.5 gallon is like putting a horse in a 8 X 12 stall -- they'll live if you're fastidious about keeping everything properly, but would be happier with more room. Most fishes' recommended tank size has nothing to do with their size or hardiness.

JWright

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Snowy Upstate New York
www.cnytheater.com
Fishless cycle is unnatural?

In nature, fish are born into ecosystems that are already "cycled", they aren't dropped into sterile ponds with a nitrogen cycle that has to build up from scratch whilst toxic chemicals build up.

If we get past the whole "keeping fish in glass boxes" thing, then I would say fishless cycle is far more natural.

In any fish-in cycle, the fish are going to be exposed to ammonia and nitrite. I'm not saying they can't go on to live a very happy and healthy life after this, but if you can avoid it in the first place, with a very simple process, why wouldn't you?

~JW

Oct 24, 2005
Nature? I don't get my fish from any local ponds, streams, lakes, or rivers. Even if I did there was a time when that pond had no cycle. It had to start somewhere right? There were probably some sort of fish that started that cycle. On both my pond and my 55, I set them up the way that worked for me. That's the idea right, what works for me/you/us? These fish were not born in nature, they have never had ideal conditions, and if they have to go through a few weeks of less than ideal conditions they probably don't know the difference. If everyone feels so strongly about cycling with fish b/c it's not fair to the fish, then how do they rationalize owning fish? Wouldn't they be better in their own NATURAL environment, not in our homes in little/big glass boxes? You can't have it both ways.

Now enough hijacking of this thread!

If you only have the money or space for a 2.5 then get what suits you. Stick with small fish and research them before you buy them. You're in for more work with your small tank, but there's nothing wrong with it.

Good Luck and Enjoy your tank!