HELP ammonia level won't go down

stacic8679

Medium Fish
May 18, 2009
indiana
No I am so glad I found this site and appreciate all of the help you all are offering. I was scared that I would ask questions and you all would yell at me for not knowing what I was doing when I started this venture. And to be honest this was my husband's baby but somehow it got put on me because I am doing the research. I think I am on the right track though. I will be asking how many more fish and what type I should get when this cycling thing is over. (thinking positive can you tell) :) Thanks again,Staci

MrNiteOwl

Small Fish
May 15, 2009
Virginia Beach, VA
I just want to throw in my 2cents.... I too am starting out and started on the wrong path.... after research and a lot of reading (not close to being done on both) and help from the people that are honestly trying to help use newbies out without looking down on us for not knowing the proper and correct ways to establish and take care of our fishies.... We newbies aren't and hopefully won't be making the mistakes we started on.... and it feels good to know that these are genuine people trying to help.... Just want to give out a shoutout to those that have helped myself and have seen that they have helped many others.... HomeBunnyJ, jo3olous, emmanuelchavez, unwritten law, Darth Padre, DesignsOnYou, KissyBoots, bmoraski, ishar and many others.... those are the names that stick out and I've seen very actively.... Thanks again!!!!

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
if you don't feel your questions are being answered clearly, or getting off topic, feel free to PM me and I will answer anything. If I can't I can definitely recommend who on the site would know better. A lot of people on here have more specific knowledge on certain fish/disease/situations/setups than others because we all chose different paths. So just let us know *

stacic8679

Medium Fish
May 18, 2009
indiana
No I think all of my questions have been answered. You don't know how thankful I am to have found this site. My husband did 2 water changes tonight and the ammonia level is finally below 1. Woohoo Should I just hold off on anymore changes until it goes up quite a bit or should I keep changing it to keep it below 1?

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
If you don't keep it below 1 you'll be damaging your fish's health. You may see ich, fungus, finrot, you name it. So keep it down. It does prolong the cycle, but it's either that or massive fish loss.

When the nitrite starts to rise, keep it below 1 as well.