Yikes

R

ronrca

This morning, like every morning before going to work, I tend to my fish. However, my discus were near the top gasping and breathing very hard. Hmmmm! ???  Thats strange. Two almost committed suicide by racing around, ramming into everything and trying to jump out (Good thing for my cover).  :eek: They also were laying on their sides, some at the top, some at the bottom. I also noticed my ram laying on the bottom and not moving at all. Yikes! I quickly took tests of NH, NO2 and NO3. Nothing. As I was taking the testing I knew what it was. I then took a pH test. Normally my tank is around 7.0, this morning 6.4. Yikes!!! I listened to the C02 injection and it was going like crazy. I didnt have a bubble rate because it was a constant flow. I checked my pH vs gH chart and realized my C02 was way over 35ppm. I quickly turned the C02 off and put another pump in to increase surface turbulance. I then had to go to work. I was late already. My wife phoned me an hour later to tell me that my fish were doing better already. Whew! I then told her to slowly start the C02 and turn off the pump. I was worried about the increase of pH. I will see how they are when I get home. I guess I will be investing in a pH meter. I hope they surivive this and not get sick.

I thought I'd post my experience to assist anyone in a similar situation.  *thumbsupsmiley*

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sunny Southern California
yikes. i have had that problem. but i was using a bubble counter so i could immediately tell what the problem was.

i have a regulator that's connected to a needle valve for fine tuning. my guess for my problem is a faulty regulator. it was really hard to regulate the flow coming out of it. it happened once so that's why i bought the needle valve. also happened again when i had the needlevalve. sucks. i also lost a entire tank of c02 when one of my tubes popped off so make sure you have them tight enough.

R

ronrca

Sorry. I should of mentioned that I have a pressurized C02 canister. I also have a fine presion needle valve. Ive had the regulator since November/December and Im thinking that I was still in the 'breaking in' stage (or someone turned up the c02). Whatever it maybe, it got me scared however my wife tells me that the fish are doing good now. I am thinking of getting a ph controller but I cant afford to spend $400 right now for one.