Yellow Lab

R

ronrca

I have a 20G tank that Ive bummed off my brother inlaw and I would like to get a Labidochromis caeruleus (Yellow Lab, Electric Yellow) and maybe a Pseudotropheus socolofi (Mbuna Blue). I was wondering if that would be a good idea. I know that tank is small but Im would like to know if just those 2 cichlids would do alright? I was going to put some rocks but no plants as decor. Anyone have any experience with these fish?

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
[glow=Yellow,strength,width]I have kept the mbuna cichlids, not these specific ones but closely related species. As decor you should use rocks and plenty of them. These fish thrive with places to hide rocks are perfect. I'm not sure if 20 gallons is big enough but I kept mine in a 29 and they were just great with each other. I would say it would be fine as my friend has many of his mbunas in a 20 gallon. I think those two in a 20 gallon shouldn't be too bad if there is plenty of cover.

Ryan ;D[/glow]

sharkbait

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
No way!:eek: Maybe the L. caeruleus could handle the 20 by himself but put in a P. socolofi and he's as good as dead.  A 20g is really to small for most of the Malawi cichlids.  Ideally the L. caeruleus should be kept in nothing smaller than a 30 g and the Pseudotropheus in nothing smaller than a 55.  You could try some Tanganyicans.  A pair of Altolamprologus compressiceps (my personal favorite)or maybe a pair of Chalinochromis brichardi (these are awesome looking fish!!  Full grown they are almost a perfect white with a black mask).  Shelldwelling Neolamprologus will also do well in a 20 g.  I wouldn't keep more than one genus/species of Tanganyicans in a 20 g.  

R

ronrca

Thanks! Now the only problem is finding them, sharkbait! I was a little worried about putting a lab in a 20G, now I know better.

R

ronrca

Sharkbait, you mentioned "Shelldwelling Neolamprologus"! Would that be 'Neolamprologus tretocephalus - Five-Bar Cichlid' or 'Neolamprologus brevis - Brevis Shell Dweller' or 'Neolamprologus brichardi - Fairy Cichlid, Lyretail Lamprologus'?

R

ronrca

Another question! Why is the Altolamprologus compressiceps your favorite?

sharkbait

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Not all fish from the Neolamprologus genus are shell dwellers.  There are a few that make their home in shells, though.  The ones that I see most commonly in fish stores are meleagris, occelatus, brevis, and multifaciatus.  Here is an interesting group discussion on shell dwelling cichlids http://www.petsforum.com/cichlidroom/talks/c002.html

The N. tretocephalus is a rock dweller as is the N. brichardi/pulcher (these are, by the way a very pretty fish, the brichardi, I mean).

I like the A. compressiceps bacause they are a very rewarding fish to keep.  They are very slow growers and can take up to three years to reach full maturity.  Because of this they are expensive.  A mature adult can cost up to fifty bucks.  A baby compressiceps of about an inch long sells for around $10.  They are unique in size, shape, behavior and attitude.  The males get to about four inches and the females a little smaller, but when they turn sideways, they are maybe a quarter of an inch wide, hence the name compressiceps.  I could go on and on but I won't bore ya.  
Another fish that is a close relationship is the A. calvus.  My appreciation extends to this species also.  They are almost the same as the compressiceps only not quite as tall.
Well, that's enough.........

Oct 22, 2002
thats one thing oscars need a big tank i moved mine to a indoor pond (around 100 gallons)They live with some red eared sliders and they love it in there. ;Dthere old tank is going to get planted ;D ;D

R

ronrca

I havent been able to get my tank running yet but hope to soon. It had some leaks that I first had to fix. I will probably go with Neolamprologus brevis or brichardi if I can find any.