Would A 55 Gal Be Ok

aspguru

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
www.aspalliance.com
How hard and expensive would it be for me to dump my fresh 55 and start a saltwater tank in it? Could someone give me a nice little run down on the cost and how big/not big of a pain it would be and what I could do neat with it? I would appreciate it. Thank sguys!

eseow

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Depends on what setup your going with, fish only, reef setup, etc. ??? Initial cost of equipment is most expensive part. Filtration unit (wet/dry bio-ball box, or canister filter), Protein skimmer, Lighting, live rock (can be pricey for good rock-but shop around), But it really depends on what you are planning to setup first before you can really be given idea of costs. Post what kind of saltwater tank your looking to setup, like what fish, what inverts or corals. From this I/we can post more info on ehat is needed.  *thumbsup2* And yes 55 gallon tank is OK. *thumbsupsmiley*

aspguru

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
www.aspalliance.com
Well I love anenomies. You know the little bush like things that fish like to lay in. I love that, I would want some live coral a few tangs, I love irridescent fish. I like the purple lighting look too to make everything glow. I saw a fish at a store one time that when you went up to the tank, he would start swimming around in circles all over the tank. It was the coolest thing I've ever seen. I'm not really sure what I want. I just want to make sure that the 55 is an ideal size and about what it would cost for everything. I have my 55 now in fresh water with a Marineland 350 canister filter. Could I use that filter for it?

colesea

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
NY USA
There really isn't any way to estimate a cost other than to say, expensive. If money is not an issue for you, then great, wonderful, you could do a full blown reef in a 55 gallon tank without a problem.  If your budget is severely limited, then you might have problems. Well, I wouldn't call them problems really, it'd be more like well, putting off that dream reef until you can afford the necessary equipment.

Reefs are hefty investments.  I can't stress enough RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH. Do your foot-work and go to a good bookstore or library. There is literally -tons- of information out there about how to set up a reef, and by looking up your equipment needs and making a shopping list, not only do you know right from the get-go what is and is not appropriate (because most LFS employees won't), but you can price items at differant places as well and buy the right equipment right from the start.

Some people start off really cheap (I had a customer do a fish only SW 55 gallon for $700 on an impulse buy because he wanted a SW tank, and I set him up as cheaply as I possibly could). Then they add on other stuff as they learn more about how to properly take care of their tank (same customer went out three months later after doing some research and bought a $150 UV light, then went and spent $60 on a skimmer etc). Thus far I'd have to say this customer spent at least $100-200 on fish alone in my store, I don't know if he got other things anywhere else.

That 55 fish only tank, after two years or so, has cost my customer at least $2000 with everything he's added, including fish. A reef tank is going to cost a bit more because inverts and coral are -expensive- and so are the lights -required- for their thriving.

And please, know your critters. Inverts are really really delicate, espeically corals and anemoes. They look really cool, but as any reefer could tell ya, you have to have your heart in the animal for it to thrive. If you just want it to look pretty without the necessary time investment to take care of it, you'll have dead corals in no time. RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH.
~~Colesea

eseow

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
It is true that saltwater tanks are or can be expensive, but it would not be all spent at once. Equipment is one thing, saltwater and substrate another, livestock would be added slowly, as were Damsels are cheap, you would remove them after tanks cycles. As for my small saltwater tank, it can be pricey over the total amount, but it wasn't spent at one time either. Each thing was done at a single time over a period on time. I would recommend you to do your research, just like Cole said. Books are one of your best bets. Also try to find a GOOD Marine LFS. You can at least discuss what your plans are with them and literally see what you need. You could even see what tanks look like and there costs of operation and maintenance. But, be wary of certain stores, they can make the cost seem lower than it actually is, thus suckering you into buying items constantly. If you really want to try a saltwater tank, make sure you are really dedicated to learning how to and what to make it work, like making sure your tank cycles properly, BEFORE adding expensive live stock.  *thumbsupsmiley*