Wot do you think of this? <Pic>

Ratbag

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
South East UK
OK You win! Re: Wot do you think of this? <Pic>

I must admit Luvfishies, that is the "Dogs Round Bitz"!  *thumbsupsmiley*

By the way, all your pestering (jk) has paid off! I went away for a few days and returned home with a 55 Gal tank/stand/hood!  *celebratesmiley* Should keep 'em happy for a while longer.

Dave_C - I really do take your point on cleanliness and plants. I have been uprooting a few of the fine leaved plants weekly to clean the crap out of them, I just hoover the broad leaved ones. My personal preference is for a planted tank, it's the showpiece of the HOUSE!  ;D A bare tank wouldn't look anything less than clinical in my opinion. However, my intentions are to breed the Discus I have. IF and when I do I will setup bare tanks for the purpose, I can deal with the tanks looking like laboratories for the purpose of spawning good quality nippers.  *thumbsupsmiley*

Anyway, thx for all input so far, it's useful to hear others suggestions even if I don't use them all right now.

One thing that has not been discussed that can be a detriment to fish growth is hormones. All fish secreate anti growth hormones. Its natures way to prevent over taxing their environment. This is where the myth that a fish will only grow as big as its tank comes from. In a way its true, if a single fish is confined to a smaller space the hormones it secreates will affect its growth. Bass fisheries consider this fact when deternining lake limits. A lake can support lots of little fish or a few big fish. Since Bass fisherman perfer to catch large fish, there are larger allowed limits in lakes with small fish.