Eheim canister 2028
195W pc lighting
CO2 injection - 20lb tank/metering valve/internl reactor
1 year established
loaded with plants
4 ottos
2 clown loaches
2 blue rams
4 mollies (will go away as I get new fish)
2 SAE
11 yamato shrimp
1 cory
pH 6.6
Temp 75 - 81 fluctuates
KH 7
GH 7
CO2 approx 56ppm (keeping the algae at bay)
regular fert dosing

I am thinking of adding 1 discus to the aquarium. Is the temp too low? Is the pH not low enough? What else? I really want to have 1 nice, smaller discus to accent the plants. I know that I can take care of it to a good quality of life, however I do not want to adapt the entire tank for 1 fish. Will a new discus adapt to my current conditions? I have read alot about them, but I would appreciate advice from someone that has owned them. Thanks

Here is a current picture.

Last edited:

TLM4x4

Large Fish
Jul 21, 2005
southern oregon coast
If you put one lone Discus in a tank you will have one very unhappy fish. They do best in groups of 4 to 6...they are very social fish and form very tight knit "families". They are a much warmer water fish, I keep my tank at 85-86. They are also very peaceful, most people keep small fishes with them like neons, danios, whiteclouds and cories which is what I have in my tank with them. So, in answer to your statement you "dont want to adapt the whole tank to one fish"...if you want happy/healthy Discus, yes you would need to.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
If you're going to get a single get it large, 5 inches plus. I kept one single for a few years as it was an absolute p.i.t.a. and killed anyother discus in with it. The smaller ones are super nervous in small groups <8 i.m.o.. The single psycho was a beautiful, healthy hand tame fish that I regret giving away. If you know any breeders ask if they have any similar that have killed their partners

pH is ok, but temp is low for my liking