Will male platies fight?

Raisin

New Fish
Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
I am interested in getting some sunset platies for my new community tank once it gets cycled. However, I don't want tons of babies. If I get a few male platies, would they be alright or would they fight all the time?

Coyote

Large Fish
Nov 22, 2002
Visit site
Guppies can't breed with platies. Swordtails can breed with platies though.

I have swordtails myself. Males flare to each other and sometimes even peck each other. As for female, my biggest one chases away the smaller ones sometimes but not as aggressive as males.

Just want to remind you. Female liverbearers may carry babies when you get them from store.

izabeau

Medium Fish
Mar 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Female Platys

I have 4 female platys, 1 male guppy ( the other 2 died) and a pleco all in a 7 gallon tank, and the females get along fine. One of my Red platys can get a bit "bullyish" at dinner time, but they all seem to get along great, and they are all different sizes. My guppy gets a bit tired of chasing my platys though, I think I'm going to have to get him a friend.

Slacker

Large Fish
Mar 12, 2003
Texas.
Visit site
I have one male molly and two females. The bigger black female chases off the white smaller one and the dominant female and male seem to be fighting a lot too. Is this a sign of her about to burst? I know she is pregnant but im not sure how far along.