Will lead kill my fish ????

murray

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I planted out my new tank a few days ago...but no matter what I do quite a few of the plants refuse to stay in the gravel...I get it looking great, and sure enough, when I come back later there they are floating at the top of the tank. It's driving me crazy !!! I've read that a strip of lead can be used to weigh down the plants...but surely lead is quite a toxic substance. Could it, over time, leach out into the water and harm my fish...or is it inert in its solid form ?

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
It really depends on what kinda lead. I think you should try to do something without it. Are they floating plants? If so they won't stay down. I learned this too. What kinda plants are they? To try and keep them down put some gravel in the middle of the plant. Or put more gravel around the base of it. What size is the tank and how many pounds of gravel is in there? ;D

murray

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Hi Ryan,
The plants that are causing me the most trouble are the giant val. The tank is a 3 footer with about 20 kilos of gravel (50lbs approx)

kitten

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Is it 36x18x14 (standard)? then it would be about a 40g...

Are you using aquarium made weights? They wouldn't make them if they weren't safe...wait, what am i saying...

Is it only the val thats doing this? I had a little trouble with my first attempt at planting these, you just have to plant them really deep (slope the gravel towards the back if thats where they're planted). I don't use any weights at all, but if your concerned about the lead try using a stone or something else tied to it.

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
Here's an idea. Take a tiny bag and fill it with gravel and then tie a string from it to the plant with hardly any slack and then just let it sit! I think you should just plant it deeper though. ;D

Those "lead" bands that are used to sink aquarium plants are actually made out of a magnesium and zinc alloy. They are not toxic to fish. You can use them but I don't see why you're having trouble planting the vals in the first place. You could try makeing a hole in the gravel with a cone of gravel  in the center. You spread the roots apart and place the stem at the very top of the cone with the roots going down the sides all around the cone. then cover with more gravel.

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
  The key is a deep substrate. The deeper it is, the farther you can put it in in the beginning and the deeper the roots will be.

I only use the anchar /lead bands for bunch plants, and don't depend on them to always do the job.

Take two fingers and push them to the bottom makeing a hole. Then take the plant in between your fingers and do it again...then take your other hand and move a bunch of gravel on to the plant, holding down why you pull your fingers out. secure , if it floats easily with small stones pushed into the gravel.around the stem.