Whiteness

chomper

Small Fish
Oct 17, 2004
West Virginia
Visit site
My Discus fin and tail has started to turn a little white and he is getting a little whiteness on his eyes.I was wondering if anybody can help me out and tell me what it is and how to cure it ? I would greatly appriciate it.

Mar 17, 2004
Visit site
every 3 days?!

Changing the water once a week is fine, at least things will be more established that way, enabling the water chemistry to at least be somewhat stable.

Are you use carbon in your filter?

If not, then it will take longer to filter out other impurities (chems) in the water.

Another thing you could do is maybe find out orginially where your fish came from i.e. if you got it at the lfs did their supplier raise the discus in R.O. Water (Reverse Osmosis), or were they raised in regular tap water (de-chlorinated), because if they were raised in R.O. water, then chances are they are weaker, therefore not having a good reaction to your water (which I assume is regular tap water), since R.O. pretty much strips the water.

Another possibility is the de-chlorinator and other possible chemicals you put in the bucket of fresh tap water, which could be causing a "cocktail" therefore stressing the fish.

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
3 days is good IMO, but if the discus is in a planted community the other fish and plants might do better with just once a week. But you can never do to many W/Cs for discus. :) A general rule is that you should feel good about drinking a cup of discus tank water. If not then you need a W/C :p

I'm pretty certain the water is your problems, if they eyes are getting cloudy it can mean bad water.

What are your water params?