where can i find pirhanas in utah?

yav1n

Medium Fish
Aug 2, 2006
Cichlid City Aquarium

I have never ordered from these guys but this is one of a few places you can order them online, you would have to have them shiped to a state where it isnt illegal. Not that I am suggesting you do something illegal but you can get them from Canada. If you really want piranah i would look into the other kinds you can get(other than red belly). although they can be very expensive. They used to be legal in idaho? MT? I am not sure anymore

RISK2123

Medium Fish
Aug 29, 2006
L.A. Cali
ur best bet would be to find a forum with people that have RBP's and see if u can have somebody ship some to u. if any questions are asked, just say its a red belly pacu. when thier young somebody with no experience wont be able to tell any difference. if they still dont believe you tell them to stick thier finger in the bag, then RUN...

yav1n

Medium Fish
Aug 2, 2006
red bellys are cool but they are a lot more common . Most people who have p's go for the different kinds that are out there, but they are expensive. just make sure you do research on them

yav1n

Medium Fish
Aug 2, 2006
as far as I know pacu's are not true p's they are fin and scale eaters. look alikes. tyey are some times called wimple p's. They are very skidish. P's are illegal in washington but pacu's are not. There are like 32 different types of piranahas. If i was going to getthem again I would get the black rohm or one of the gold ones. really pretty (eye of the beholder). I dont know what the latest classifications have them as my info is from like 10 years ago when I had red belly's

RISK2123

Medium Fish
Aug 29, 2006
L.A. Cali
Igor The Cat said:
3-4 which is hte min. you can kepp happily

cheers

-Java

i thought min. was 6 or the pecking order would most likely kill all of them or just leave one. ive never kept them like you so i wouldnt really know. have u had success with keeping just 3?

Jan 13, 2006
Colorado
i dont know about utah, but i know here in florida it is illegal, although i do know for a fact that they are selling "red belly Pacus" in petsmart that are actually red belly pirahnas, im debating on reporting them for it, but i do love going in there and get the majority of my stuff in there.

jobeak

Medium Fish
Mar 13, 2006
Sligo, Ireland
Red Bellied Piranha are probably the most commonly kept Piranha in the hobby. They are commonly confused with Red Bellied Pacu's as they are quite similar when they are younger. You can generally tell them apart by their jaw line. The Piranha has a more prominent lower jaw that sticks out further than the upper to facilitate biting. The Pacu has a letterbox shaped mouth. The pacu's bellies are more distended. While everyone would love to have a 1000g tank to house a huge shoal of Piranha's, this is not necessary. The general rule of thumb when housing RBP's is 20 gallons per fish. If you keep up with tank maintenance, it is possible to house three RBP's in a 55 gallon tank. The minimum number of RBP's you can keep together is 3. Any less and you will soon have only one as they can be cannabalistic. With three the aggression is more spread out. Keeping the temperature around 79F reduces the aggression level right down. I currently have 3 x 5 inch RBP's housed in a 55g. They have been there for about 5 months without any problems whatsoever. I also have 2 juvenille Pacu's who are about 2 inches. They are in a seperate tank and will grow to upwards of 2 foot in length. There are more fish in the Piranha family than people are aware of. Silver Dollars, Pacu's and black widow tetras to name but a few. If you want to get more info on Piranhas aswell as places to buy them, check out www.piranha-fury.com.

Also the reason Piranhas are illegal in some areas is that the water temperatures will allow Piranha to survive there.

Hope this helps

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
What are you going to do with your piranha when you get bored of them, which you will as they are abjectly tedious. You may as well get some carboard pictures, plastic coat them and tie them to stones in the tank. Really, if you don't have a stack in a huge tank they are probably the most overrated fish going for entertainment.
Get a jag or an oscar instead.